Switching devices needed.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by fahadkhan, Nov 19, 2009.

1. fahadkhan

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 19, 2009
    I need electronic switching devices that take the following voltages and currents at the input and provide them to DC loads connected at the output. The switches are to be controlled by control signals that come from a controller. So every switch must have three terminals. An input terminal, a control signal terminal ( to turn the switch ON or OFF) and an output terminal.The currents and voltages at the input are as follows:
    1. A switching device for 144V, 400A
    2. A switching device for 144V, 110A
    3. A switching device for 24V, 15A
    Can anyone suggest suitable devices? Thanks.
  2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Don't know if they come that big, but Google SSR's (AKA solid state relays). Basically a optically coupled triac and LED.
  3. John P

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 14, 2008
    Not SCRs or triacs, because this is a DC application.

Try Powerex: http://www.pwrx.com/

They can meet the spec with either IGBTs or MOSFETs.

But this is not going to be an inexpensive project.
  4. russ_hensel

Jan 11, 2009
    Anyone messing with this voltage and power should already have a pretty good backgound in power electronics of be an electrician. Is this true here?
  5. fahadkhan

Nov 19, 2009
    No sorry I am afraid I have almost no background in power electronics. I am a fresh internee at an organisation and have been assigned the task to find a switching device meeting the above specs. I would be obliged if someone can suggest specific devices( their names and links to their data sheets). Thanks to all of you for your useful feedback.
  6. Duane P Wetick

Apr 23, 2009
    I believe you should seek professional help in this endeavor, as there are many questions that have to be answered in terms of loads, not just voltage and current.
    How to control a power handling device is probably as important as the device itself.

Regards, DPW
  7. fahadkhan

Nov 19, 2009
    ok thank you very much.