switching device single phase ac motor

dunhillr

Joined Aug 7, 2012
Hi Everyone,

I am trying to build a switching circuit (using IGBT or power MosFET) to drive 2 ac motor (230V,1A max) from a micro-controller output (ATmega128) which will be 0-5 V range.

So, the switching circuit will be acting like an amplifier. Anyone have a sample circuit that i could use?

Thanks in Advance

Martin

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I second strantor's choice (or a similar solid-state relay). You want to have a control circuit that is isolated from the mains, which a simple triac isn't.

dunhillr

Joined Aug 7, 2012
I would use a triac for this purpose (ac). Are you trying to control the speed of the motor?
Yeah, which you have control the input voltage or frequency.....

But, i need a inverter for frequency so i believe to control voltage would be easier, hence i need a circuit for isolation between the Micro output which is 0-5V DC and IGBT or SCR for the 230V AC side.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
Yeah, which you have control the input voltage or frequency.....

But, i need a inverter for frequency so i believe to control voltage would be easier, hence i need a circuit for isolation between the Micro output which is 0-5V DC and IGBT or SCR for the 230V AC side.
For isolation you could use a MOC3010. But for an out of the box solution , you could use strantors solution for an easy installation.
The MOC 3010 has a sample hook up diagram in its data sheet.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
You never directly answered this question:
Are you trying to control the speed of the motor?
But the things that you are saying, are leading me to believe that you ARE. What type of motor is it? Speed control only works with a couple of types of single phase motors, mostly it DOES NOT WORK.

dunhillr

Joined Aug 7, 2012
You never directly answered this question:

But the things that you are saying, are leading me to believe that you ARE. What type of motor is it? Speed control only works with a couple of types of single phase motors, mostly it DOES NOT WORK.
It's EC Fans (AC, single phase), i am trying to control the speed of the fan so that i can change the speed when needed.

I did realized that i will need an inverter for DC to AC conversion,(which changes the frequency) is there any other way i can control the speed without an inverter?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
It's EC Fans (AC, single phase), i am trying to control the speed of the fan so that i can change the speed when needed.

I did realized that i will need an inverter for DC to AC conversion,(which changes the frequency) is there any other way i can control the speed without an inverter?
can you give a link to the fan? You probably cannot change the speed via an inverter.