switching circuit for 12 volts.

naveed

Joined Mar 12, 2008

It's 12 volts dc modem, the battery is 12 volts and the charger also. I want to make this switching circuit. Anyone plz help... :)

Attachments

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Here. Try this.
Thanks, but I'd rather repair the one I have... I think there is something wrong with the switching circuit. :D

--------------------------------------------

He Naveed, just kidding. We need more details, as many as you have.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Sentimental value? I understand. I would never give up my magic wand, no matter how expensive to repair it.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Ahah! The light just came on.

What the OP wants is a circuit that switches the power source from the AC adapter to the 12V battery when AC mains power fails (when light is off).

Use two diodes. One diode from the adapter to the modem. The other diode from the battery to the modem.

The other thing you can try is unplug the adapter and throw it away.

naveed

Joined Mar 12, 2008
I tried by just eliminating adapter, but this way, battery was not being charged properly. perhaps all the current was being drawn by modem. I tried using larger wattage charger as well but failed.

Now how to use diods? I think diods will simply pass the current, how to switch between adapter or battery?

evilclem

Joined Dec 20, 2011
Must always be careful using diodes to choose between batteries and adaptors. The device will always prefer the higher voltage of the battery rather than the lower voltage of the adaptor thus permanently using the battery.

Alternative is to use a lower voltage battery of course.

evilclem

Joined Dec 20, 2011
A simple but nasty solution would be to use a normally closed relay for the battery. Power the relay to hold open from the adaptor, when the adaptor power fails the battery will be switched in as fast as the relay can switch.

naveed

Joined Mar 12, 2008
about transister I know that it switches more fast than a relay and more reliable. But I don't know how to use transister for this circuit. Can you please help me?

evilclem

Joined Dec 20, 2011
If the battery voltage was less than 2 volts above that of the adaptor then you could use a p channel mosfet in a quick and nasty manner.

The suggestion to remove the adaptor was probably the best though, just put a fixed 13.8V power supply on the battery and power the modem off the battery permanently.

Attachments