Switching back to a Nokia 33xx?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ryan Donahue, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Ryan Donahue

Thread Starter New Member

May 4, 2014
    Over the holiday break my iPhone took a tumble onto the hardwood floor. The gorilla glass front and back didn't crack but something with the multi-touch seems to be broken. I am out of warranty and it is $129 to replace the multi-touch display.

At the same time, I have been reminiscing about my old 33xx series Nokia phone. I liked that phone more than any I've had since. I could lock it, unlock it, call someone via speed dial and send a text all without ever having to look at the device. This got me to thinking; is it possible to go back to using one of these phones? I've done some research and it looks like, for me being in the States, I would want to go with the 3390. There is more info online about the 3310 but that seems to be able to work on the European frequencies. I've read a lot online from folks extolling the virtues of this phone but not a lot of reports of them being used now.

So would one of these phones work today? Could I buy one off eBay, buy a sim card, and register it with T-Mobile pre-paid? Is there something I'm missing, technically, that would give me issues?
  2. ISB123

May 21, 2014
    I'm pretty sure that those phones would work fine.I opened up some 3310 nokia to get the display for one project I was doing ,it took me 1 h just to cut the metal display shield....
    absf likes this.
  3. absf

Dec 29, 2010
    My first handphone was a Nokia 3310 and after it died, my company replaced it with a 3316. Then I got a Sony free from my brother. It also died from using it for about 5 years. Then my wife bought me a Nokia C1-01, assembled in India, which cost <$50. This phone has color display, supports uSD and it can play MP3 music. Whereas the 3310 and 3316 are monochrome with very little memory.

I also have a smart phone but I find that it is much easier to use the C1-01.