Switching an exhaust fan

Roar Power Electrics

Joined Aug 9, 2012
I need to start an exhaust fan for toilets in a commercial building
There are four toilet areas and assume the lighting for these toilets are fed from different circuits.

Scope of works is that when any of the lights are on they need to start to the toilet exhaust fan.

Any suggestions/diagrams

Cheers

Have you ever worked with relays before? I think this would be a fairly simple thing to do when incorporating relays tied into the light switch wiring.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
In the DC world, you'd just use 4 diodes to "OR" the signals together. If one of the four is on, the fan is on. Somebody here must know how to "OR" together AC sources. But not me.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
In the DC world, you'd just use 4 diodes to "OR" the signals together. If one of the four is on, the fan is on. Somebody here must know how to "OR" together AC sources. But not me.
Relays? Relay coil in parallel with each light, and all relay contacts in parallel to switch th fan.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
So you want all fans to come on even when only one set of lights is on, or just the fan in the toilet with the lights on?

If the latter then just connect the fan in parallel with the associated lights.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Isn't it against electrical codes to serve a bathroom from more than one circuit?
nevermind.. its a few stipulations about a single circuit serving multiple bathrooms,etc.. not the other way around.

This is a simple task for a few relays. But I still don't think thats how it should be done.. IMO there should be 1 "main" switch to turn on the main light in the bathroom (could be 3 or 4 way if multiple entrances) but you still should have 1 main switch which would turn on lights/fans

Joined Nov 30, 2010
There are some rather large fans available...fans that could serve more than one bathroom in a commercial building. I see them in catalogs for my day job.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Yes. Relays abound in my truck, They are reliable and don't require soldering. I could whip this in 20 minutes, standing on a ladder.