Switching a power Source!!

billyr98

Joined Apr 6, 2007
Ok well I will try to explain what I want to do... First I am an electrician, so i don't mind trying to attempt any kind of wiring...

I have an electronic ballast for a 250w Metal Halide bulb.. I have it on a timer to come on from 12pm - 8pm.. No problem... This is perfect.. The bulb in the 250w socket is 6500k lamp color...

I want to be able to run one 250w bulb from 12pm-4pm and another color lamp in another socket from 4pm-8pm...

I dont mind turning off the ballast for like 5 mins to fire up the second color lamp...

My first drawing was to have a timer on the ballast.. Turn it on from 12pm-4pm and then off from 4:01pm to 4:05pm and back on at 4:06pm to 8pm...

No problem there.. but how do I switch the load off the ballast from lamp to the other at 4:02pm - 4:04pm before the ballast fires back up...

Thank you so much for any questions and tips!!

wireaddict

Joined Nov 1, 2006
Time Mark makes an alternator that automatically toggles between 2 outputs. Only problem is that they run on 120 VAC [& possibly 240 V, too]. What you want to do is a little complicated & expensive. First of all, assuming that both lamps will work with this ballast, you'll need to connect the AC inputs to the ballast & the alternator to the timer so the both turn on & off together. Next you'll need to connect a relay to each alternator output [2 total] so that they energize alternately. Then connect a normally-open contact from each relay beteen the ballast & each lamp.

Another idea is to use one timer & alternator with 2 complete light fixtures, ballasts & all, so the alternator switches the fixtures; that would eliminate the relays & shorten the off time between lighting cycles. Or use 2-24-hour timers & 2 fixtures; that would eliminate the alternator as well. See which way is the cheapest.

billyr98

Joined Apr 6, 2007
well i went with a timer for the ballast...and then off the ballast to a DPDT relay... when that relay is powered via another timer, the one lamp is on and if the timer is off for the relay the other lamp is on.. thanks for the info though..