Switching 9V to 24V from RF receiver

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by PenguinScotty, May 27, 2012.

1. PenguinScotty

Thread Starter New Member

May 27, 2012
    Hi guys,

I'm currently working on a little project that requires me to switch a 9V signal (500mA over 2 seconds) to 24V, but i'm not sure what the most effective/simplest way would be.

2x12V batteries supply the power to my RF receiver (Stepped down to 9V), which sends out my 2 second 9V signal.

What would be the best solution to this? Do i use SSRs to switch it, or should i use a switching converter?

Thank you very much for your time!
  2. Papabravo

Feb 24, 2006
    Transistors are pretty good at level shifting. Depending on your need for inverting or non-inverting logic I'm guessing one or two parts.
  3. crutschow

Mar 14, 2008
    If you want to turn the 24V on for 2 seconds in response to the 9V signal and off otherwise, then you could use a small NPN transistor (such as a 2N2222) driving a P-MOSFET such as this in series with the 24V.
  4. electronis whiz

Jul 29, 2010
    personaly id use a relay thats usily fairly simple and can drive a high amp load.
  5. PenguinScotty

Thread Starter New Member

May 27, 2012
    Thank you very much for all your replies.

I went with Tyco SDT-S-109LMR2 relays. Currently, i am switching 6 relays with 6 different signals in one of the boxes, but i am getting some rather weird bleed-through with them. My 24V source is hooked parallel to the output side (switched side) and even without anything connected on the back end (Trigger side), i am getting anything from 4-10V bleeding through. They are not welded, because they do reset.

Not sure what the best solution would be for this problem. I was thinking maybe a RC circuit/Bleed Resistor?

Thanks again for all the responses, really appreciate it!