Switched 3.5mm socket?

tobyw

Joined Mar 21, 2013
I want to make a small radio where the battery is connected to the socket by inserting the earphones into a 3.5mm socket - to avoid having a separate on/off switch.

Is there such a thing as a normally open 3.5mm headphone socket? I can't find one which is described as such - but probably I just don't understand the schematics and how you would connect them to achieve this..

I have some sockets like this

http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Connectors/TruConnect-PCB-Jack-Socket-Stereo-3-5mm-20-0137

Could anyone tell me - can I use this to connect the battery when the earphones are inserted, and if so, what pins would be connected to what?

Thanks

Last edited:

k7elp60

Joined Nov 4, 2008
You cannot use this jack to connect the battery because contacts B&F and G&E are shorted to each other. When inserting the plug into the jacks the contacts open. Generally contacts D& E are connected to the audio output source like speakers. When the earphone plug is inserted the audio to the earphones and turns of the speakers.
I am not aware of a jack to do what you want to dol

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
Since you want to make the radio, do you have a schematic? Sometimes it may be possible to power the radio thru' the earphones itself.

Ramesh