switch the light with your hand

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by q12, Apr 10, 2009.

1. q12

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 10, 2009
    "switch the light with your hand" this is my project i have started a long time ago and abandoned him because of lacking time and pissed off.
    Inspired from some SF movies (StarTrek and other) I was starting to build an switch who can turn on/off my light from my room.
    I was stopped at one point and cant resolve it ... and here I want the help from you. I was using an "field effect transistor" [FET]-blackPlasticCase and I cant remember the name of it... I know I was playing a lot with it to make it stable when i came with my hand in his area of "feeling" but he was then immediately screwup and fluctuate because it was instable.
    What I was trying to accomplish , is that on/off state, but he sensed when I came at him and then when I came out from him and this was the wrong part. I wanted only to "sense" the came at him part then stop sensing. then, when i came at him the next time I wanted to close the circuit.
    I was trying this with a led and see what was going on live.
    I , then , put in scheme an on/off circuit but the problem remain the same, because he sensed the way out from him movement and turn on/off the circuit like it was never there :)
    I hope I can make my self clear enough. If you can tell me about a new FET or a CI that can resolve the problem (or a quick&dirty circuit) .... because I want to restart my project again.
    thanks

2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    You want a capacitance activated switch?

3. q12

Apr 10, 2009
    if it works why not.
    a capacitance will do. after all i search for a cheap solution. the cheapest.
    :)

4. q12

Apr 10, 2009
    any progress at that capacitance ?
    maybe some IC that can brake that long duration of sensing?
    I dont stay very well at coil capitol but i know it is possible to replace that FET with a coil. I think it runs at electomagneticFieldDisturbance principle.
    But im not exact sure.
    if you have done my testings and play like I was do, you will see that is a very big problem to resolve. the best way i think that is to choose a PIC (18f64-I still have them from a long time) but is a labor work. I search for simpler and compact results.
    thank you anyway. ;)

5. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    We can offer suggestions, but I've got my own projects. Are you familiar with a thermin? It is a tank circuit, but the inductor is open. If you move any mass near it the inductance shifts, causing a frequency shift. When compared to a second oscillator at the same frequency (or close enough to generate a predictable beat) then you have something that could be the basis of a proximity type switch.

You can also buy them off the shelf for industrial applications. Some liquid sensors are proximity sensors. Simple enough to use, 3 wires, power and the output.

6. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    :D

Theremin!

Pretty good rendition of Video killed the Radio Star

This one shows more how it is played, looks impossible:

Classical