Switch/Relay help!

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Stuwindsurf, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Stuwindsurf

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Hi,

I am hoping to make some custom handlebar switches for my custom motorcycle. The bike has a 12v system.

I have purchased some metal momentary push button switches which I would like to use to replace the original switches. These I assume will be fine for Starter and Horn as these both currently use momentary push switches. Could anyone advice me the simplest way, adding maybe latching relays so I can also use the momentary switches for the following applications-

Heal lamp dip/high beam (switch between the two circuits)
    Run switch (on/off)
    Indicator/turn signals (on/off)

I have to point out I am not an electronic whizz and have no circuit diagram experience, I'm hoping someone can just advise what relays I would need for each system including their values etc?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help, and sorry for being a complete novice! :eek:)

Stu

2. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Head to your local car parts shop and look for standard 12v relays for the options in question. That will help a lot. The automotive stores also have cases for the relays that will weather-proof them.

The relay for your starter needs to be rated pretty high in the Amp category (depending on the starter). If you use too small a relay, you will burn it up.

Here is a 12v mobile website that has info on switch types, relays, and the basics of electronics to get your project moving. Also a little education will help you from hurting you or your bike.

A note: Are your switches rated for the purpose intended? If they are not sealed or designed for the rigors or road travel (Vibration/shock and weather), you will be replacing them rather quickly.

This site will help you in designing your project with minimal headaches:

http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp

3. Stuwindsurf

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Thanks for your help, I'll give the link you suggest a look!

Stu