Switch on and off 12V sump pump with mosfet

french_guy

Joined Apr 16, 2009
Hello
I want to install a battery operated sump pump back-up. The Wayne ESP 25 is a good one. But the charger is not that great....
I could just buy the 12V pump and do the sensor/controler mysefl, and buy a better trickle charger
I was thinking to use a microcontroler (I have one) to switch the pump on and off depending on the value of a sensor (connected to one of the microcontroler's input - The Wayne controler detects a high level and turn the pump ON for a deternined amount of time - I can do the same or implement 2 sensors: low and high)
I would prefer not to use a relay, but a mosfet
How should I do?
Thanks

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Is there a reason for not using a relay, to use a Fet you need to know what the current is being drawn at full load, can you show us your circuit?

french_guy

Joined Apr 16, 2009
Well, I thought it might more difficult to find a relay. And a Mosfet would be more "straight forward" (less components)
Or I guess i can find an automotive relay at Radioshack and use a transistor to drive it....
I am not sure about the pump...I will have to find the specs

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Since you are turning on/off high current at infrequent intervals (seconds between cycles), then a relay is a better option. A transistor and relay from the shack will be perfect. Buy a project box to stuff it into while you are there. The board always takes more space than I plan so bigger boxes are better boxes.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
You could also use a DC-DC type solid-state-relay such as this. They have a long life and provide isolation between the input and output. They typically only take 10-20mA to turn on.

french_guy

Joined Apr 16, 2009
You could also use a DC-DC type solid-state-relay such as this. They have a long life and provide isolation between the input and output. They typically only take 10-20mA to turn on.
So this type of relay can be directly driven by the microcontroller's output?
I guess I still need a resistor, right?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
So this type of relay can be directly driven by the microcontroller's output?
I guess I still need a resistor, right?
Yes, they can be driven directly form the μC.

You usually don't need a resistor with an SSR. The typically have a built-in input resistor, thus the input is rated for voltage, such as 3-32VDC. If you go above 32V for the input then you would need to add a resistor.

french_guy

Joined Apr 16, 2009
Talking about sump pump, the choice for 12V pump is limited.....
What is best for a 12V power supply (battery): 12V pump or 110V VAC pump+inverter?
What will give the best life span out of a marine battery? I've heard a power inverter will draw current from the battery even when it is idle?