Switch making LED panel dim

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by NickHJ, Jul 18, 2014.

1. NickHJ

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Hi all,

I have been making some little side light for the kids. It's very simple with each using a 12vdc power supply to 12vdc 2.1mm socket, socket to switch, switch to 48SMD LED 12v panels.

The first 3 lights were perfect using a nice little switch like this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-Blue-LED-On-Off-Round-Rocker-Switch-Lighted-Car-Dashboard-Dash-12V-/261459896191?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3ce039677f

The last one used a switch like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Angel-Eye...mponents_Supplies_ET&var=&hash=item3ce344281b and the LED panel is very dim and doesn't really light anything up. Is the switch stealing power from the LED panel?

Regards
    Nick

2. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    Both switches require power for their indication. However, from the item description, its not possible to determine how much power they require. All I can say is that it entirely possible that the new switches are "stealing" too much power. Where are these side lights for the kids going to be installed?

3. NickHJ

Aug 10, 2013
    I'll get a switch like the first ones to replace it then. They are going in their play room, they MAY want them in their bedrooms though. Is there anything else I should do for safety if that's the case?

Nick

4. MMcLaren

Feb 14, 2010
    Nick, are you sure you've wired up the switches correctly, Sir?

Mike

5. BobTPH

Jun 5, 2013
    I suspect you have basically wired your load in series with the indicator LED. Did you wire your battery to the pins marked "power negative" and "power positive", and your LED board to the pin(s) marked "load positive" and to the battery negative?

switch.jpg

6. NickHJ

Aug 10, 2013
    The other ones absolutely :), this one not so sure :confused: hence the questions. Reading Bobtph's post may I have wired it in series. I shall go and try it properly and report back.

Thanks everyone.

7. NickHJ

Aug 10, 2013
    No different, just dim (me too!).

8. BobTPH

Jun 5, 2013
    Show us the wiring?

Bob