Swisscare, Safe?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by LHBTC, Feb 22, 2015.

1. LHBTC

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Hi

I have this device.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B02XStLWj3XLOTE2a0k5RVFhZ0VIMnZyMm5tRzdOVy1hemVv/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B02XStLWj3XLdzRsX3J0bktQMW1OUHNfLWctX3MtS0JLOVcw/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B02XStLWj3XLT3NDMWZKcGR6WXlhZDlsMzlkalFJQVpuVFM4/view?usp=sharing

Call me overcautious, but since it is a cheap device and it has no known reference (even their website does not work), I started to have second thoughts after the first use.

Is there any tiny teeny possibility that a leak will flow into the water (hence the user!)? I know these things -typically- has an extra measure regarding the safety, but do I really know?!

2. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    The pictures are not to helpful. Here is a YouTube:

The young woman appears to have serious bunions.

By leak, do you mean electrical shock? One can't say anything is 100% safe, but it didn't appear particularly risky. Your greatest risk might be in changing operation modes while your feet were in the water. I would use a ground fault receptacle (GFCI) for it.

Another risk is microbiological as one sees with hot tubs. For that reason, empty and let dry between uses.

John

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  3. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Enough for things like that, John?

4. LHBTC

Feb 11, 2015
    But if there is an electrical leakage (hence and electrical shock) would it be fatal?

I posted the pictures for the details and specification of it.

5. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Any shock is potentially fatal. That is one reason this site does not allow posting designs for devices that shock as a joke. Not all shocks are fatal, and people do survive being hit by lightning on occasion. There are many variables, and it is impossible to predict what the chance of a lethal of a shock to you would be. That said, there are lots published articles on shock from household current. I suggest you do a little reading on it yourself.

The specifications you post only help to show that it 230V at 50 Hz. If you were to grab an open circuit at that voltage with wet hands or feet and hands, it might well kill you.

John

6. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    The key with fatal shocks is current path. If there is a short or leak of current I to the water, the path of least resistance to the other pole is throughout the water or through your foot, to the other AC terminal. So, if you are sitting on your ceramic toilet and have your hands on your lap and feet in this tub, you have nothing to worry about - like a bird on a wire. HOWEVER, if there is a current leak/short into the water, as soon as you touch the metal faucet with your feet in this tub, you create a path to ground and "poof", you could have an issue. As @jpanhalt said, use an GFCI outlet.

7. LHBTC

Feb 11, 2015
    Hi

I realize that, but I am just talking about this kind of product and its possibility to leak the shock.

I am using it while I am working on my PC. and I don't know how to install that, is it easy?!

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    We don't actually review products on this site, we allow Underwriters Laboratories and several other entities to enforce international standards. The best you can do is install a ground fault circuit interrupter, either as the circuit breaker for the outlets in use or a GFCI outlet just for that device. A GFCI is the best thing invented to prevent electrocution in the last 50 years IMHO.

9. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    yes.. water + barefeet + electricity...... may = death.. with any product branded or not..

Did someone say GFCI?
    (PS you can just buy a GFCI protector that plugs into a regular outlet and your device plugs into it)

#12, LHBTC and GopherT like this.
  10. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    How do I push the LIKE button twice. Your math is perfect.

@LHBTC
    Look up the phrase Darwin Awards. Then set priorities and practice moderation.

11. LHBTC

Feb 11, 2015
    So if the ring main CB is actually an RCD or ELCB, is that enough?

12. LHBTC

Feb 11, 2015
    Since i am being over-protective, I think I am the last one to receive that award!

13. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
  14. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Depending on what part of the world you are located a GFCI adapter may look differently.
    Go to your local electrical/hardware store and ask for a GFCI adapter.

[​IMG]

If you cannot find one you can build your own with a GFCI outlet, a junction box and power cable and plug.

[​IMG]

15. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    dont forget, GFCI needs a proper ground circuit to function as advertised. just connecting up the green wire doesn't do diddly squat, unless you know for sure the ground wiring has been earthed properly.

16. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    No it doesn't.
    A GFCI does NOT need a ground wire to function properly. It only looks for an imbalance on the hot/neutral. Nothing else.

17. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    yes. i am wrong. Earth leakage current interrupters are how I was introduced to them, and I should have updated my store of old knowledge brfore posting

18. LHBTC

Feb 11, 2015
    Ok thanks guys, great info!