surge protector disguised as a circuit breaker

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Just a note to let you know that somebody has designed and marketed a surge protector disguised as a circuit breaker. It plugs into a breaker box, provides circuit protection for 2 circuits (just like a normal circuit breaker), and secretly contains surge protectors.

It's my idea of an excellent product because it eliminates the flimsy, 14 ga. wires that have traditionally been used to connect surge protectors to a breaker box. I saw it on a TV show called, This Old House. If anyone finds out who the somebody is that makes these things, please post here.

I realize that most transistor jockeys do not do house wiring, but this is a really slick product, and some of the denizens of AAC will find it useful.

This has been a public service announcement.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Yes. These seem to be rated at 75,000 A surge max. I particularly like the idea of plugging the protector directly into the bus bars in the breaker box (load center). Can't get less series inductance unless you connect it outside the house!

Surprisingly expensive at $89 considering you can buy 10,000 amp suppressors in the 50 cents to $2 range.

I expect the price will come down quickly as other corporations jump on the bandwagon.

Yes. These seem to be rated at 75,000 A surge max. I particularly like the idea of plugging the protector directly into the bus bars in the breaker box (load center). Can't get less series inductance unless you connect it outside the house!
i've found them to be in the $50.00 to $200.00 range for an optimal replacement but it varies sometimes.

I expect the price will come down quickly as other corporations jump on the bandwagon.

Surprisingly expensive at $89 considering you can buy 10,000 amp suppressors in the 50 cents to $2 range. Hopefully the price on a new circuit breaker will come down even more so.

[/QUOTE]
Square D makes very good protectors as well.

Just a note to let you know that somebody has designed and marketed a surge protector disguised as a circuit breaker. It plugs into a breaker box, provides circuit protection for 2 circuits (just like a normal circuit breaker), and secretly contains surge protectors.

It's my idea of an excellent product because it eliminates the flimsy, 14 ga. wires that have traditionally been used to connect surge protectors to a breaker box. I saw it on a TV show called, This Old House. If anyone finds out who the somebody is that makes these things, please post here.

I realize that most transistor jockeys do not do house wiring, but this is a really slick product, and some of the denizens of AAC will find it useful.

This has been a public service announcement.
I'm going to have to agree. The product does amazingly well and was incredibly useful. Also regarding breaker protection I use cutler surge protectors which do the job perfectly.