Supported File Types

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
What file types are supported? I found that MP4 was not supported by trial and error. Similarly, it appears that asm is not supported either. Is it possible to show a list of supported types in the "Upload File" dialog?

John

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
What file types are supported? I found that MP4 was not supported by trial and error. Similarly, it appears that asm is not supported either. Is it possible to show a list of supported types in the "Upload File" dialog?

John
When you click the UPLOAD A FILE button, there is a list of supported file types along the bottom of the dialog box.
zip, txt, pdf, png, jpg, jpeg, jpe, gif, doc, hex, lbr, sch, sub, svg, asc, asy, bin

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
My monitor does not show that list: Win7 Pro/Chrome
Even when I clikc on "More options..." no list appears.

John

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

In the admin panel is given this list:
zip
txt
pdf
png
jpg
jpeg
jpe
gif
doc
hex
lbr
sch
sub
svg
asc
asy
bin
asm

Wich are also shown in the Upload a File dialog.

Bertus

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Hello,

Wich are also shown in the Upload a File dialog.

Bertus
That's the point, they aren't shown on Chrome/Win7. If you can verify that they are displayed properly with Chrome on a Win7 system, it may be important to verify which version of Chrome and updates to Win7 you have.

My system forcibly updated Sunday evening -- much against my wishes. It has been a mess ever since. For example, ALL of the Chrome icons were wiped out and replaced with white, generic space. The Intel RST was also removed from the start tray. I put it back, but it still doesn't start the way it used to. It is kind of like deja vu with Netscape, "all over again." I thought MS had learned a lesson with that a score of years ago and was behaving a little bit better. So, it is conceivable that even some Win7 users with Chrome way be seeing the list, depending on their update status.

John

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello John,

The pop-up is shown when flash is enabled.
If flash is not available, the normal filebrowser will show.
I have the pop-up shown in qupzilla and chrome on my OpenSuse linux PC.
In firefox, konquerer and opera, the filebrowser window is shown.

Bertus

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
If you come across an unsupported file type, the easiest thing you can do is put it in a zip file. Those are always accepted, provided they don't exceed the maximum file size limit.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
My plug-ins are set to run automatically. This snippet shows that Flash is always allowed:
upload_2014-12-17_14-52-27.png

As for ZIP'ing a file, that has been a standard way for many years and is only slightly inconvenient for the poster, but many people are cautious about opening zipped files. Therefore, it is not the best solution.

John

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
As for ZIP'ing a file, that has been a standard way for many years and is only slightly inconvenient for the poster, but many people are cautious about opening zipped files. Therefore, it is not the best solution.
That is a very good point, I had not thought of that. I imagine it would still be an acceptable workaround provided the poster states why it is in a zip file :)

Regards,
Matt

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
On my mobile device, if flash is involved it won't work (iPhone). On two laptops, it won't work with Chrome although flash is installed and working

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Guys, it's in the "Open" dialog window. It's not a browser thing.

upload_2014-12-17_16-33-2.png

Hover over it and you'll see the full list.

Maybe your systems are different from mine?

Regards,
Matt

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
It is a glitch in Xenforo and affects every Xenforo site I go to (Chrome, Win7 Pro). Screen shots were shown above. Flash is enabled on my machine. I just resort to ZIP files and if that is a problem for some, so be it.

John

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
I know it's an old thread, but I just discovered I'm having similar problems. In Firefox when I tried to upload a pic all I can see is folders, not individual files. And yes I make sure the file extension box displays the file types. This is on my work and home puters, both Win7. On both machines I can open IE and everything works fine. Any suggestions?