Supplying 0v to turn off mosfet.

cjdelphi

Joined Mar 26, 2009
Basically the transistor which i'm using now a 2N222A all is good and when pin 3 supplies off to the transistor, the transistor turns off the flashing LED, really simple...

But when swapped for an mosfet, IRF or anything similar, the capacitor in the mosfet keeps the output on to the LED (even though the signal from 555 pin 3 is off), what's the solution to this?

sceadwian

Joined Jun 1, 2009
Supply a path to ground for the current stored in the capacitance of the gate.
IE use a pulldown resistor, you need to supply a circuit diagram to get any more specific than that because a 555 should be able to discharge the gate capacitance if it's used normally they can sink as well as source current.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
We are just guessing, because there is no schematic to review. The 555 sources and sinks current at pin 3. Is that your output?

AN170 said:
Therefore, when driving these types of loads,
one should recall this internal sinking path of the timer.
A 10K resistor, as suggested, won't hurt. But, something else may be causing this problem.

John

cjdelphi

Joined Mar 26, 2009
Alright, turned out (by coincidence) that both my mosfets i had were fried, i tried a 3rd one and no longer had the issue, working just fine without the resistor..

Thanks....

sceadwian

Joined Jun 1, 2009
Mosfets are finicky chips, even even without a visible/audible arc discharge it doesn't take much voltage to fry their gates, only a bit over 20 volts.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Alright, turned out (by coincidence) that both my mosfets i had were fried, i tried a 3rd one and no longer had the issue, working just fine without the resistor..

Thanks....
These little jewels are also prone to be destroyed by ESD pulses that are so small that you will not likely feel it.

An investment in a good ESD wrist strap will pay you back in dividends if you use it consistently.

hgmjr

sceadwian

Joined Jun 1, 2009
hgmjr, sounds like what I said! =) I've never bothered using anti static straps though, there's a far easier way to avoid static build up, simply make sure there's metal objects around that are grounded to touch, and always touch them before you handle ICs. The case of the power supply on my desk is grounded I just slap my hands on that before I touch a FET, or if you're really paranoid hold one hand on the grounding source and use the other to handle the chips.

I personally think the hazard of knocking something over with the wire or walking away from a bench with it on is more worrisome than static generally is if you take the proper basic precautions.