Superposition Problem

markmc001

Joined Mar 10, 2008
Hi all,
I a have just started a new course and am already feeling like I'm out of my depth with the level of work in some classes! I am struggling with a superposition theorem problem. Could anyone help the the following problem?

Calculate the value of the current in branch PQ using Superposition

I have attached a schematic of the circuit.

Thanks in advance,
MM

Attachments

markmc001

Joined Mar 10, 2008
I don't necessarily want the answer but would appreciate it if someone could walk me through the steps of how to approach the question.

hobbyist

Joined Aug 10, 2008
If I remember correctly, superposition means to calculate what each individual source contributes to the entire circuit. By disabling every source but one, then calculate the effect it has on the circuit, then continue disabling sources and enabling each source one at a time calculating each individual contribution to the circuit. Than algebraicly add the total effect (calculated) of the sources together.

But first you need to convert your component values to reactances. C=Xc L=XL
then take it from there.

ee_govcont

Joined Oct 3, 2008
Disabling the sources means to short the unused voltage supplies and open unused current supplies.

The reactances for L and C are jwL and 1/jwC.

If I remember correctly, superposition means to calculate what each individual source contributes to the entire circuit. By disabling every source but one, then calculate the effect it has on the circuit, then continue disabling sources and enabling each source one at a time calculating each individual contribution to the circuit. Than algebraicly add the total effect (calculated) of the sources together.

But first you need to convert your component values to reactances. C=Xc L=XL
then take it from there.

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
As your instructor what the initial conditions are, otherwise you can only get a steady-state solution. If you are truely to find current as a function of t, then you need the initial conditions.

Can you use laplace circuit analysis?

Steve