supercapacitor battery

rasakumar

Joined Nov 26, 2016
i want to assemble a 48v supercapacitor battery for using in electric bike. what are the other things required for assembling in addition to super capacitors?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
A battery.
Supercapacitors cannot store enough energy to power your bike for any significant time.
Supercapacitors store much less energy than an equivalent size and weight battery.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
i want to assemble a 48v supercapacitor battery for using in electric bike. what are the other things required for assembling in addition to super capacitors?
A very large trailer to put all those supercaps on.

Let's just do a simple computation to see what capacitance would be needed to store the amount of energy that is stored in a single D-cell alkaline battery. The amp-hour rating of the D-cell is approximately 17 A·h, which works out to about 75 kJ (since the terminal voltage decreases as the battery is drained).

http://www.allaboutbatteries.com/Energy-tables.html

To match that at the nominal 1.5 V terminal voltage a capacitor would have to be 100,000 farads. Now consider how far you could possibly expect to get on an electric bike powered by a single alkaline D-cell.

anhnha

Joined Apr 19, 2012
A very large trailer to put all those supercaps on.

Let's just do a simple computation to see what capacitance would be needed to store the amount of energy that is stored in a single D-cell alkaline battery. The amp-hour rating of the D-cell is approximately 17 A·h, which works out to about 75 kJ (since the terminal voltage decreases as the battery is drained).

http://www.allaboutbatteries.com/Energy-tables.html

To match that at the nominal 1.5 V terminal voltage a capacitor would have to be 100,000 farads. Now consider how far you could possibly expect to get on an electric bike powered by a single alkaline D-cell.
How did you get 100, 000 farads? Thanks.

E = 1/2* CV^2 = 75kJ where V = 1.5V. I got C about 66,666 farads.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
How did you get 100, 000 farads? Thanks.

E = 1/2* CV^2 = 75kJ where V = 1.5V. I got C about 66,666 farads.
You're correct. I did the math in my head and although I checked the units mentally on dividing by (1.5 V)², I only divided by 1.5 once (I was probably too impressed with that coming out to such a nice, round figure). The point is still quite valid though. Thanks for checking the math and pointing out the error.