Super Position Theorem

sockles

Joined Sep 22, 2010
Hello,

I've got this homework problem of Super Position and i'm stumped, because the problem is laid out totally different than any other peoblem in the book or online.

The problem is "using super position, determine the current through the 12ohm resistor."

My question to you guys is.. Can I switch the 10V source with the 2ohm resistor over to the right and move the 12ohm resistor in the middle of the two, to make it look like every other problem out there? If this is possible, I think I can go about doing Super Position.

Attachments

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
Hello,

I've got this homework problem of Super Position and i'm stumped, because the problem is laid out totally different than any other peoblem in the book or online.

The problem is "using super position, determine the current through the 12ohm resistor."

My question to you guys is.. Can I switch the 10V source with the 2ohm resistor over to the right and move the 12ohm resistor in the middle of the two, to make it look like every other problem out there? If this is possible, I think I can go about doing Super Position.

Note that it is the "superposition theorem", not the "super position theorem". The latter sounds like something an ancient sex theorist might have written into the Kama Sutra.

But, yes you can swap those branches around like you did.

jegues

Joined Sep 13, 2010
My question to you is why wouldn't you be able to?

Envision the physical version of the circuit sitting infront of you.

It would simply be as if you were to pick up the branch containing V2 and R2 and slide the branch containing the resistor R3 underneath it, and then lower the V2 and R2 branch.

All the branches are still connected to the same nodes, and all the KVL's exist identical to the previous layout.