Suitable charger controller for my 200V solar panel

Snow Shark

Joined Aug 2, 2012
Hi all

I am new here and this is my first post. I have a 150W solar panel which generates an output DC voltage of 200V and amperage of 18.5 ah.

This panel is to charge my 12V, 90Ah battery.

Please recommend me a suitable type of charging controller/battery charger I should use to match the battery and solar panel.

Since the output voltage is really high, I am afraid the battery and the controller will be damaged.

I searched online and I found a chargerwhich can operate with solar panels up to 200 Volt open circuit, but it only charges batteries between 24V and 100V. Therefore, I don't think it matches my battery's voltage. Another 12V charger controller only support Maximum Solar PV panel open circuit voltage of 26V.

Is there any charge controller that supports 12V DC output and operate with 200V solar panel???

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
I should wate for answer to gerty's question, but still other questions: 18.5 ah ? amp hour?? for solar panel. If it is 20 V OC, about 17V operating @ 18.5A around 300W. Or about 1A if it is 200V OC. Wild suggestion: use a switching PS to bring 200 V DC down to 15 to 20V DC. Best I could find was 120W to adjustable 15 to 20V @6A.

Snow Shark

Joined Aug 2, 2012
No, my solar panal is 200V(not 20V). I asked for advice on other online forums but they can't help me either. 200V solar panel will be used to charge a small 12v 90 ah battery. Since the voltage difference between them is too great, is there any charger controller that can handle that??? Any answer would be appreciated.

Thanks

Snow Shark

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
It would help if we know what part of the world tou are in for parts availability. Back to using a switching power supply as a buck converter 200V DC to 20 V DC to then go to a charge controller for final regulation.
The input to a SWPS is generally a fuse, line filter, full wave rectifier & high V filter cap, so at that point SMPS does not know the difference between AC or DC input. Comments welcome.