Suggestions on the Best Free EDA tool for Beginners

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by MaxBlack, Nov 6, 2015.

1. MaxBlack

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 29, 2015
      Hello everyone, just a quick opinion survey, what EDA do you think is best and why? Something that is hopefully often updated and is stable. I have looked into EasyEDA and Designspark, but are there any other EDAs there that you think is awesome?

Opinions are highly appreciated, Thanks

2. Aleph(0)

Mar 14, 2015
    Sorry about second hand news cuz I don't need that kind of tool but everyone I know who does raves about Cadence Orcad:)

3. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Yupper! I'm one of 'em!:):):)

Sincerely
    HP :)

4. Rock Slate

Jul 22, 2015
    I would suggest Kicad

5. MaxBlack

Oct 29, 2015
    Thanks for your suggestion. Although I have not used it,I know KiCad is open source and free, also many people like it. my friend highly recommended me to use EasyEDA , I have a try, It's really easy to drive. Besides, EasyEDA has powerful functions,It offers schematic capture, spice simulation and PCB design - including Gerber download - for free.
    The best thing for me is there are lots of examples on the site ,for example,https://easyeda.com/martin/MSP430_Mood_Light-t3lDxP6oiand and has a useful tutorial.https://easyeda.com/Doc/Tutorial/

6. MaxBlack

Oct 29, 2015
    Cadence Orcad is indeed a very powerful and professional software, but It is not free and not so easy for a beginner.thank you;)

7. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
    How about EagleCAD?

8. Aleph(0)

Mar 14, 2015
    I say cheap and easy is as cheap and easy does;)! Time and money invested now is better than need to unlearn and relearn tomorrow:)!

9. dl324

Distinguished Member

Mar 30, 2015
    EDA covers a lot more than just schematic/PCB layout and circuit simulation. When I think of EDA, I think of IC layout, parasitic extraction, layout vs schematic comparison, cell place and route, ...
    But from the context, you appear to mean a very small subset. In which case, I use Eagle