Suggestions On how to procede on project, multi latch relays and momentary switch's

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by zamanica, Dec 16, 2012.

1. zamanica

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Hello,

I am new, i came across this forum reading about others with simular electronics projects. One in particular about a momentary switch that controls a relay with a latch circuit. I am a savvy learner but mainly am having trouble with terminology, and i am sure there are many ways to skin the cat here but i dont want to learn physics to make a simple project work.

My question is are there any suggestions on what i should look for to build my circuit, names of circuits, or other projects that i may be able to adapt?

My project is a 2000 Ford f350 Diesel truck, i am installing what is called a 6 position chip which piggybacks on the engine computer to adjust things like fuel and shifts. The "chip" has been burned with 6 different sets of data and has a rotary knob with 1 ground and 6 leads to select which program to run. On the hardware if the 6 leads are in an open circuit the chip defaults to mode 1, however it is unknown what would happen if multiple leads are grounded meaning a multiple selection. I do not know the voltage (less than 12) and the amperage is very minimal on the selection leads.

My goal is flexible but basically to get a small bank of 4 momentary rocker switches (maybe one way to select each mode and a 5th to go back to the stock setting or 2 way to turn on then be able to back out of a program (go back to program 1 or stock settings) One of the modes is a warm up which is an easy relay connected to the park indicator as well as the e-brake that can be a spdt and when engaged ground lead 2 and break the ground to the bank of 4 so it can not be over ridden, but only works while parked. program 1 will be the default at all times, then you would have 4 options on the dash to select via the momentary switches. I wanted to do momentary because you can hunt and push to choose settings and not be restricted to a linear selection via the knob or with just simple switch action accidentally flip up 2 switches and possibly break the computer. It would also have to cancel or turn off the last setting before engaging the new relay or setting so no double selection occurs.

Here is a link to the "chip"

http://www.gopowerhungry.com/_phoenix.shtml

and my idea for a bank of switches, but instead with momentary switches and the led would light when that one was selected.

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/Toggle_Switch_Bank_3_Way_Red_SB3R

Thank you for your time

2. zamanica

Dec 16, 2012
    I also wanted to mention again, i am new, part of my problem is when searching i am having trouble with what terms or types of systems to search for. I did do a few searches and got some great info but most of it was not applicable to my question.

Thanks again for your time.

3. tubeguy

Nov 3, 2012
    You may be violating the TOS

4. zamanica

Dec 16, 2012
    Ok, that kinda sucks, there were several other threads simular to mine already on here so i did not even think about that.

I would argue that i think in the spirit of how that is written it is for "modifications" that would cause damage or be possibly illegal. I only include the vehicle application to frame the question i would be happy to rephrase it without any vehicle related portions, I am not really interested in the truck at all just a method of switching a device on or off, in a low voltage environment. This would have many different applications maybe switching lights on in a room, changing led colors in a sign or display, ect.

Thank you