Suggestions for descent logic probe/pulser

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by john74, Mar 23, 2016.

1. john74

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 22, 2015
    Hello, Im looking to buy a logic probe logic pulser, seems like they're a lot of em that combine them in one...which seems like it would be ideal. Been looking around but seems like they're a lot of choices. Just wanting to ask if for suggestions on a good choice or brandname...one thats sensible easy to use. And of course covers CMOS logic levels highs n lows. Suggestions? Thank you so much

2. InspectorGadget

Nov 5, 2010
    I made a logic probe/pulse stretcher when I started out in electronics, and then never used it. I can tell so much more with a voltmeter and a 'scope. Of course, if you don't have a 'scope and you can't trigger on a pulse and need to know if a fleeting pulse is present, the pulse-stretcher can be useful.

I just took a look at Amazon and there were a number of decent ones with high ratings in the $20 price range. Like anything else, I would look at Amazon reviews and see if people's expectations and experience with the product matches your own.

3. dl324

Distinguished Member

Mar 30, 2015
    I've been a fan of the HP54xA series since the late 70's. The HP545A logic probe supports TTL and CMOS (3-18V). CMOS thresholds are a ratio of the supply voltage. The nice thing about this probe over all others I've seen is that it will indicate float. It will also detect 1uS+ pulses.

The logic pulser is HP546A, current tracer is HP547A, and the logic clip is HP548A. The set cost $1500 when it was introduced, but can be had for ten cents on the dollar if you bargain shop.

When I was a tech at HP, everyone had a scope at their workstation, but the 54XA probes were still used (and we only had one set for the whole line).

john74 likes this.
  4. john74

Aug 22, 2015
    Thanks so much for that suggestion...appreciate it

5. john74

Aug 22, 2015
    Thanks for the suggestions and insight