Suggestions for a newer or different IC?

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
I'm trying to keep this as simple and small as possible since it will be mounted on a motorcycle.

The circuit is a PWM fan speed controller, it will monitor the analog gauge sensor voltage already on the bike but I could replace that with a simple NTC thermistor.

This IC does everything I want it to do including having a fault indicator output which, although not 100% essential, would be nice to have.

The bike has a regular 12V lead-acid battery with the usual charging system that can jump as high as 14V. The fan is rated 12V nominal, no more than 3A at full speed.

Where I'm at:

A TC642B driving a logic level FET
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/21756b.pdf

(Ignore the way they designed in the SENSE part, I'll get that pulse in a different manner thus eliminating the resistor.)

What I'm wondering:

Is there a similar chip produced that will run with 12-16V for the supply instead of me having to give it a separate +5V? The few extra components are really not that big of a deal, just wondering if anyone had seen anything similar. I'm also somewhat limited in that I'd like to stay away from surface mount components.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
You could probably figure out a solution using a quad op-amp as a PWM controller. You'd need a few additional components (more than the Microchip part probably.)

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
Yea, that's what I figured. Fairly interesting chip for its age and they made some variations with other integral features, can't recall the other part #s at the moment.

Haven't really thought about it yet but it could have other uses.