Suggestions finding an alternative to a relay pulse signal

nar

Joined Dec 1, 2008
Hi, I’ve been using a reed-relay in a circuit, wired as a vibrator. I chose the reed-type relay for the small size & cheaper price. I’ve been looking for a "solid-state" replacement for the relay with the same small size & price that will put out a pulse (on/off) signal of 1 amp or less with a 12 volt battery. The pulse signal is being used to constantly turn on & off a transformer. This isn’t that critical but maybe about .005 sec between pulses.​

Ideally I’m looking for something the size & looks of a resistor, with 2 leads, an in & out; a single unit that will work constantly like an on/off switch to whatever it is hooked to.​

I’ve been all over in my searches, there’s so much out there & I’m not really sure what name or key words to search for?​

555 Oscillator? - looks more complicated than what I need, lots of parts to order & assemble to make it work.

Pulse width modulator?​

IGBT?​

Mosfets?​

I’ve pretty limited in electronics but am learning. Thanks for your time & replies are appreciated.​

-Nick​

Last edited:

nar

Joined Dec 1, 2008
Vertical MOSFETs are designed for switching applications, so they are only used in On or Off states. Are they able to produce a pulse signal like described above?

I've also been looking at the UJT relexation oscillator. One site lists down falls about it, I seen the pulse it produces is really narrow. The circuit looks simple though.

I was also thinking about those electronic "shocking" pens they had out a few years ago. Did they have a buzzer circuit or a crystal in them? I haven't been able to find a good diagram of them.

thanks & any sugguestions or guidance is appreciated,

-Nick​