Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Lestraveled, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Lestraveled

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

May 19, 2014
    Inexperienced people often do poorly expressing themselves with the written word (on this forum). They are also generally not disciplined enough to read the "Please Read" sticky. Add to this mix that sometimes their grasp of English is marginal. Thus it should be no surprise that AAC gets a lot of the, "have problem with blue thing, please help" kind of posts. The purpose of my suggestion is aimed at reducing these kinds of posts.

My Suggestion:
    When a new member clicks on "Start New Thread", they are presented with a flash screen that says something like:

Think before you post:
    - We can not read your mind.
    - Include as much information as you can
    o Schematics
    o Photos
    - Writing," I have a problem, please help" is not enough.

The screen would have a "Read more posting tips" and a, "Continue" button. Etc, Etc.

That's basically the idea I wanted to convey. Hit the new poster with a quick summary just before they start their first post(s). Once they have posted a few times they don't need to see the "reminder" screen anymore. Maybe if they clicked on the, "Please Read" menu in the first place, they never see the reminder screen at all.

Anyway, that's my suggestion. I hope you like it.
    Dr.killjoy and MrChips like this.
  2. tom_s

Jun 27, 2014
    or.. along the same vein, cut longways not oops, sorry, wrong forum...

take 2 - along the same track, popup message saying - 'have you read the posting requirements?' click here to read them

and in the posting rules section, tick box all the ways down the the bottom - 'i have read and agree to the posting rules'

no tick, no post.

hope i didn't miss one of my pills this morning :)
  3. wmodavis

Oct 23, 2010
    Some very good suggestions.
  4. sirch2

Jan 21, 2013
    Whilst I sympathize with ideas about pop-ups etc. the problem is that we have all become accustomed to accepting any pop-up that appears just so that we can get on with it. On one forum I sometimes use there is a minimum word count, it can be very annoying but could possibly be applied to the first post of a new thread and/or to people with fewer than a certain number of posts. The advantage of something like this is that the poster has invested some time in typing and then is prompted to type more