Suggestion: (Post) edit alerts?

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Kind friends:

I submit that (the addition of) functionality whereby transmission of alerts of the form: "User X edited their post on thread Y" (to 'watchers' of said thread) would be desirable inasmuch as such would tend to reduce obfuscation and 'clutter' via obviation of 'addendums' or posts advising of edits to one's OP/Response{s}.

Abatement of 'nuisance alerts' corollary to mere 'polishing' (e.g. spelling and/or grammar 'tweaking', etc...) could be achieved via implementation of the suggested feature as an additional (and, hence, optional) 'button' below the 'Edit Window' (e.g. "Save changes and issue an edit alert")

Many thanks for your consideration of this matter!
HP:)

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Kind friends:

I submit that (the addition of) functionality whereby transmission of alerts of the form: "User X edited their post on thread Y" (to 'watchers' of said thread) would be desirable inasmuch as such would tend to reduce obfuscation and 'clutter' via obviation of 'addendums' or posts advising of edits to one's OP/Response{s}.

Abatement of 'nuisance alerts' corollary to mere 'polishing' (e.g. spelling and/or grammar 'tweaking', etc...) could be achieved via implementation of the suggested feature as an additional (and, hence, optional) 'button' below the 'Edit Window' (e.g. "Save changes and issue an edit alert")

Yeah, what she HP said.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
I would rather not call you, it
They referred to their cousin that way
Cousin Pennywise?!:eek: -- And here I thought I had 'problem relatives'!:p

Seriously -- relax! - Inasmuch as the 'cat is out of the bag' --- and I'm um... 'conventional' in my 'political thinking', and my 'gender identity', orientation, etc.. are in sync with my anatomy --- Standard pronoun use is cool!:cool::cool::cool:

Very best regards

Last edited:

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Kind friends:

Subscribed threads only, please.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Confused? I can't get thru the first post.
I apologize that my OP was unclear:oops:

Succinctly, I'm proposing addition of an option to the 'Edit post' feature that, upon submission, alerts thread watchers/subscribers to said edit -- À la 'new reply'/'quotation'/'tag' alerts:)

Many thanks for your interest!

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Thank you HP. I see what you mean. When we return to a previously read thread, don't the site take us to the first new "red new post tag post"?

Maybe when someone edits a post, we could give it a blue edit tag, and return to the first new edit post, instead of the first new post.

Keeps everyone up with the changes.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Thank you HP. I see what you mean. When we return to a previously read thread, don't the site take us to the first new "red new post tag post"?

Maybe when someone edits a post, we could give it a blue edit tag, and return to the first new edit post, instead of the first new post.

Keeps everyone up with the changes.
Indeed!:cool: Perhaps the easiest implementation (from a software perspective) would be to process newely edited ('alert-flagged') posts as 'new posts' (save for original time stamps, thread position, alert text, etc...) --- I would further suggest that the "Save changes and issue edit alert" 'button' resides in the 'More Options' menu so as to minimize inadvertent/injudicious selection of same:rolleyes::D

Best regards and many thanks!

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
It is not infrequent that I and other posters make multiple small corrections to spelling, grammar, and even wording after submission. Usually that is within the "free edit" window and doesn't get marked as edited, but often that is not the case.

I would not want to get, nor would I want to impose on others such multiple alerts. In order to filter substantive edits from trivial ones, perhaps a longer window (30 minutes to an hour?) or certain character count (20 to 40?) could be set as a filter for such alerts.

EDIT: Or even simpler, allow one to opt in to receiving alerts for edits.

John

Last edited:

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
Kind friends:

HP I say is excellent idea except _Save changes and issue an edit alert_ is too much for label of button so how about just _submit and notify_?:)

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
It is not infrequent that I and other posters make multiple small corrections to spelling, grammar, and even wording after submission. Usually that is within the "free edit" window and doesn't get marked as edited, but often that is not the case.

I would not want to get, nor would I want to impose on others such multiple alerts. In order to filter substantive edits from trivial ones, perhaps a longer window (30 minutes to an hour?) or certain character count (20 to 40?) could be set as a filter for such alerts.

EDIT: Or even simpler, allow one to opt in to receiving alerts for edits.

John
I like HP's idea cuz she says to make sending alert optional so if it's that important to them isn't that better than them posting notices to reread their posts to be sure ppl see it after edit? Anyhow I don't understand what _free edit_ latency has to do with it? Cuz ppl might read post anytime b4 important edit and _free edit_ only makes things worse by making it look like it wasn't edited at all:confused:! I know what you're saying about how some ppl could be obnoxious by overusing feature but if that's how they are they can be even worse by making separate post for everything that crosses their minds which needs disciplinary action anyhow:rolleyes:!

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
The difference is that an alert at present represents a new reply to a thread to which one has posted or replied. The edit alert, as I understand it, would occur when any post in a thread was edited.

Let's say there was a lengthy thread of >50 posts. Any thread of more than 20 to 30 posts has probably wandered far from the TS's original intent. Further, assume the author of post #3 corrects a spelling error. Should everyone be alerted to that edit? What if that post is 3 years old?

As for the edit "window," I quite often edit two or three times for spelling or grammar within the first few minutes. That is just the way I write, and I would not want such edits to flood the system with alerts. Identifying substantive edits from trivial ones will never be exact, but I believe a short window is one approach.

I don't react to every alert I get, unless I am bored at 0400. I wait until there are more alerts, or I just drop in and check for unread posts. Thus, while HP's idea has merit and I agree for substantive edits, I would like the option of opting out from edit alerts on a thread-by-thread basis.

John

Edit: I agree completely with the poster's option to send the alert. That woud be very useful, for example when one edits code.

Where's the option? ;)

John

Last edited:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Once again I offer sincere apologies -- to everyone --for my OP's apparent lack of clarity!:oops:

The edit alert, as I understand it, would occur when any post in a thread was edited.
Only if the 'submitter' proactively opted to generate said alert:) --- please see below...

assume the author of post #3 corrects a spelling error. Should everyone be alerted to that edit?
As for the edit "window," I quite often edit two or three times for spelling or grammar within the first few minutes. That is just the way I write, and I would not want such edits to flood the system with alerts.
My proposal is that said feature would be implemented as an option to be used in lieu of further (redundant or 'cumbersome') posts (i.e. re-posts or advisories that a post had been edited) -- Please know that I do not advocate automatic generation of said alerts!:eek: -- Moreover, I suggest that any such feature be 'hidden' in the 'More Options' menu and, perhaps, remain unavailable to new members pending submission of a predetermined number of counted posts.:)

I would like the option of opting out from edit alerts on a thread-by-thread basis.
That makes perfect sense to me so long as 'opting out' is a proactive (as opposed to default) 'process'...:) -- Additionally, while I feel posts should remain 'eternally editable' --- The 'edit alert' option could be available only for edits submited during a limited period following post creation (perhaps 48 hours?)

Many thanks for your interest and consideration!:)

Very Best regards

Last edited:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
I like HP's idea cuz she says to make sending alert optional so if it's that important to them isn't that better than them posting notices to reread their posts to be sure ppl see it after edit? Anyhow I don't understand what _free edit_ latency has to do with it? Cuz ppl might read post anytime b4 important edit and _free edit_ only makes things worse by making it look like it wasn't edited at all:confused:! I know what you're saying about how some ppl could be obnoxious by overusing feature but if that's how they are they can be even worse by making separate post for everything that crosses their minds which needs disciplinary action anyhow:rolleyes:!
Aleph - While I suppose there's something 'touching' in your 'rush to my defense', as it were:rolleyes: -- I wish you'd 'brush up' on your manners! --- Please read your post - notice that it errs a bit on the side of antagonism? -- While I know such is neither your nature nor your intent, the (broader) impression remains:rolleyes: --- Moreover, I draw your attention to the fact that, while you've had all your life to 'practice deciphering HPese' - it seems my OP was anything but clear to others!:oops::oops::oops:

All the best

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
My preference (no way to enforce it well, though) is that only editorial corrections to a post should be made once others have viewed it. If substantive changes are made, then it often makes the thread very confusing because some number of the responses after the post are responding to what the post used to say and not what it says now. So my recommendation is that if people need to make a substantive change to a post, they should make a new reply, quote the original post (trimmed as appropriate) and then note that they are making a correction and add the additional information.