Suggestion for the text on this site

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Cari Geldreich, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Cari Geldreich

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 15, 2015
    I find the information in the text books on this site to be very lengthy. It would be helpful if the information was more straight to the point. I tend to start spacing out and attain nothing with useless words and information. The useful information gets blurred into the vast void of pointless information.
  2. crutschow

Mar 14, 2008
    Pointless texbook information is often in the eyes of the beholder.
    Can you give an example?
  3. t_n_k

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
    I often find myself spacing out. Quite pleasant on occasion. Likely due to my approaching twilight years.
    Anyone for coffee?
  4. amilton542

Nov 13, 2010
    I agree with the OP. The AAC E-Book isn't all that you know.
  5. t_n_k

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
    Embarrassing to admit this - but I've read very little of the AAC E-book.
    Many people have found it to their liking & even informative. I doubt the authors ever claimed that it was intended as an all encompassing tome or the pinnacle of unambiguous linguistic brevity.
  6. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Incomplete that it is, it is 6 volumes. If you see an error feel free to point it out, but just being a critic comes up short in my book. If you don't like the book go to a text book you do like. If the text book is legally free feel free to share the knowledge.
  7. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    I cannot say where the OP found "useless words" but concise text, free or paid, deserves credit. Unnecessary words, who needs them?

Two good extreme examples:

Mike Predko's book with about 50% of the words not needed at all. Still regretting having bought it.

Stephen King. After reading his "On writing" I learnt how he does to create some good readings with no verbal diarrhea.
  8. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    No pun intended? :)
  9. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Great! Another critic! ;)

Somehow I doubt there will be any major rewrites of the finished parts of this book. I would be happy to see it finished. I have contributed a few chapters and updates. A very small percentage, probably a lot less than 0.1%

The book is a free resource, some schools outside the USA use it. I don't think there can be anything like a comprehensive textbook on a subject as big as this. If you read the statements why it was released to left right (similar to copyright but more open source) it is so errors and updates can be made, unlike hard copy and publisher owned versions.

And as for pleasing everyone, not even worth trying.
  10. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    If the information is a rehash of subjects you know then seek a more in depth source for your areas of interest.

If you are just starting out perhaps you should find another field of interest. Basket weaving and chartered accountancy come first to mind.
  11. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    43% more concise. It is curious that despite your complaints, your posts are so lengthy.

You are reading content written by volunteer, talented sources.
    If their style is distracting, you are free to find something better.
    But recognize that others do not share your experiences.
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2015