Subwoofer Repair SKW-HT240

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Take a look at the pic
I want you to give power and measure the DC voltage at the 2 caps and the woofer connection indicated
The voltage range on the meter should be set at 50VDC for the caps and if a voltage any setting below that for the woofer terminal.
Post ur results.

Attachments

Reeves360

Joined Apr 6, 2010
Take a look at the pic
I want you to give power and measure the DC voltage at the 2 caps and the woofer connection indicated
The voltage range on the meter should be set at 50VDC for the caps and if a voltage any setting below that for the woofer terminal.
Post ur results.
Thank you for the advice! I'll get on that tonight and report back.

Reeves360

Joined Apr 6, 2010
Take a look at the pic
Post ur results.

37.9VDC for both caps.

On DC Voltage 2 the polarity was backwards from the way you have it labeled in the picture, not sure if that matters.

In the circled area I tested the two points right next to each other and didn't get any voltage readings.

I tested from the positive from positive on DC Voltage 1 to both points in the circle and had 37.9VDC on both. But when testing the positive on DC Voltage 2 with the points in the circle I didn't receive any voltage readings.

I'm not sure if you needed me to do that last test or if it provided you any additional information.

Thank you for the help and please let me know what all these tests mean.

Super excited about getting this fixed even if I have to buy some parts to do it.

:)

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
So Then U have a perfect PSU and The amp has no shorted drivers it seems. This is good news if you did not get any voltage across the speaker.
I like you to get a nice pic of the board. That first one has an annoying glow. Just the solder side. real close up and high res. This would speed things up

Reeves360

Joined Apr 6, 2010
Hi-Res pics!

Hopefully these are quality enough that you can get the details you are looking for.

I was also thinking that maybe the reason my subwoofer no longer goes BOOM could have something to do with the audio inputs. I tested the subwoofer out on the amp and it appears that it works, but I could retest is needed. Also when I tapped (with my finger) on the input RCA wire that goes to the back of the sub there was no sound. Could this mean that speaker and circuit board for my sub are fine but maybe there is an issue with the tiny audio board that gets the sounds to the main circuit board we're testing?

Once again thank you for all the help.

Attachments

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Take a look at the pic and identify those things and post ur result.

Second the pictures are good but due to glare it's hard. You have to take a good close up without the glare. Try to take a pic outside in the sunlight if you can. and try to aim the camera exactly on top of the board, not an angle. This would make things easier.

You are right about the fault. You might be having a muting or preamp issue. Once I know the connection details, I can tell you how to check the amp and preamp without removing them hopefully

Attachments

Reeves360

Joined Apr 6, 2010
The 3 connectors that you have labeled are for the audio input, bass level knob, and the 3rd is to power the status light on the front of the sub box.

I'll try to take some better pictures of the bottom and check the IC no.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Then u can test the amp.
Just give power, no need to connect those connections, all u need is the power connector and the woofer connection made.
You can connect the status light to see if it is powered up.
Once powered, just touch with you finger at the bass level knob connector slightly at one terminal at a time, If the amp is working u can hear the speaker responding to the interference that is picked up my the body.
Just a lot of low level hum and speaker will vibrate. touch slightly as without the volume knob, amp is at it's maximum. Don't do this too often and only touch the audio input connector.

Do not try to get smart and touch any where else as you might get a shock or may damage a working unit

If you can here the speaker vibrate then bass unit is working fine.
You may have an input missing issue with you main head unit.
Post back