Subscripts in forums?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Wendy, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Wendy

Thread Starter Moderator

Mar 24, 2008
    I know I'm missing the obvious, but how do I subscript (and other formatting conventions) in the forums? I wanted to write H2 and O2 as in H20, with no luck in another post, and using the epsolon symble hasn't helped either.

2. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Go the advanced reply mode. Click on the sigma in the upper Right corner. In the drop down, you will find subscripts and superscripts. John

PS: I have never gotten it to work right, and even if it did, it is too much bother. Have fun. :)

3. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    John is right about it being part of the LaTeX editor, if you follow his steps it creates the following code in tex-tags (i.e. [ t e x ] [ / t e x ], but without the spaces):

Code ( (Unknown Language)):
    1. _{}
    To create H20 you need to put the 2 in the parentheses {}, with H and O either side:

Code ( (Unknown Language)):
    1. H_{2}O
    Which gives:

H_{2}O

The key to LaTeX is to put what you are specifically formatting inside the {}, so for subscripts it is the item that you are subscripting that goes inside the {}, in your case Bill this would be the number 2.

Dave

4. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    I will play with it a little more. The problem I had was that the little icons for placement didn't seem to work right. Obviously, experience is the key.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

John

5. Wendy

Thread Starter Moderator

Mar 24, 2008
    OK, I was leaving the H and O out of the LaTex scripting. Got it. H_{2}O