Subscribing to answered posts

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I like to ask the Admins of this forum that searching is a bit difficult for me,
the thing is when I bump into a post and if I can help the poster about his whatever problem is, then I am some what entitled to answer him, right.
I mean it's up to me to answer or not if I can solve a problem, but this is not the issue, the issue is after I bump into a thread, gave a suggestion, others too gave suggestion and so on so...the thread grows, and this forum is really popular and new threads keeps on coming and coming and if I went off line for say around 2 days ( cause I sometimes do, as I travel to Resorts in Maldives during work )and after coming back I have to search for that particular thread but the search engine is not powerful enough to give me all of my posts.
And that thread is really deep, I have to spent a lot of time to search for it.
Cause I like to see how the poster did after my suggestions, like if I have helped him or not. U know what I mean.

So, can you guys do something like a subscribe option ( automatic) thingy that is under "Quick links". So once I answered to a post then I will be automatically subscribed to that thread, so this way I do not have to search through out the forum to see my posts and answer them.
Or May be a notification sort of thingy or something like that, Saying I have a new post in a thread which I posted.

I really donno what I am yabbering about but I think you guys get my point. Something like an Automatic Subscription

Rifaa

All of the things you are asking for are available currently.

Go to:

User CP
Edit Options

In the "Messages and Notifications" section there is a "Default Subscription Mode" which can automatically subscribe to threads you submit posts in and send you email notifications of activity.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
and that's a big headache. I'll be getting emails, u know I already do from another forum.
All it does is send emails and that's really annoying.
What I am saying is automatic subscription and it should be available under quick links menu.

Rifaa

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I checked no email notification cause my inbox get's full, it's not like I do not check my posts but I visit like every day.
And still there are no subscribed threads
I want it to add each post I answer to my subscription but no emails on this and when I click the subscribed post I should get all the posts that I have answered

Rifaa

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Maybe neither of us is understands what it is you want. Can you describe it more clearly?

If you go to your User CP, click on subscribed threads. They are all there. Then turn off e-mail notifications. If you do that, your subscribed threads will appear in one place reachable from this forum, and you won't be getting e-mails.

John

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
This website, along with many others uses drop down boxes, which are sensitive to the scroll wheel in the mouse, to select options.

If you touch the scroll wheel whilst making a selction it is all to easy to inadvertantly select the wrong option in one of these boxes as you leave it.

I usually deliberately click on a blank part of the rest of the page before moving on, when typing into this type of box.

They should be banned.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
The answers given above are correct. To reiterate:

UserCP > Edit Options > Messaging and Notifications > Default Thread Description Mode > No e-mail notification

Scroll down to the bottom and select Save.

You are also above to select a recent post search for your posts: http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/search.php?do=finduser&u=46728 (this is R!f@@'s posts)

Additionally, there is the much derided New Post forum search which will list all posts that have been updated since you last viewed them, irrespective of how long it is since you logged in.

Dave

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Additionally, there is the much derided New Post forum search which will list all posts that have been updated since you last viewed them, irrespective of how long it is since you logged in.
Yes this is really misleading because it hides things from you.

Try this:

Go to any thead in New Posts.

Read it but decide not to add your own post.

Go back to New Posts

Change you mind and decide to post.

But the thread is now hidden. So unless you carefully wrote down which forum you can't find it again.

:mad::eek::rolleyes:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Once you have read it, it is no longer a new post. So, it doesn't appear in the new posts list. Seems logical to me. I love that function.

John

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Yes this is really misleading because it hides things from you.

Try this:

Go to any thead in New Posts.

Read it but decide not to add your own post.

Go back to New Posts

Change you mind and decide to post.

But the thread is now hidden. So unless you carefully wrote down which forum you can't find it again.

:mad::eek::rolleyes:
Lets make no bones about it, it has been derided (in the contemptuous sense of the word), and I understand why it is disliked by some, even many, from what has gone before (please don't think I am pin-pointing anyone here, this was a general feeling I got from segments of the community in many discussion I had both public and private, and I appreciate any input on the workings of the site). However, as you can see, some do find the method logical - New Posts is just that, threads with new posts in. Many found the old system more logical, however there were issues where the New Post search didn't, in some instances, give any results so in essence they were all hidden. Fundamentally the behaviour was not consistent, which was a problem.

We hope the combination of New Post and Today's Post searches give the best compromise between the two. Personally I use both, and am happy that when I have been away for a few days, I know I will get a full and reliable search of all posts I have not seen.

Dave

Last edited: