Submission: Power Supply Circuits

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
All help is gratefully accepted. At the moment I'm trying to put a little time into it every week, eventually it will be finished This section is badly needed for the book, there are a lot of questions about something like it every week.

I am not a expert, but I can write, so I'll fake it with a bit help from friends. I suspect this is the true strength of open source, revision is not the sole purview of one person.

If I haven't implemented any suggestions it is probably because I haven't reached that section yet.

chrisw1990

Joined Oct 22, 2011
Bill, as for switching circuits.. dont know how much detail you wish to go into? iv got books old and new on them as they are the dominant psu style..
might be worth mentioning the different types.. buck, boost, buck-boost.. the basic operation? an image of the ic, output stage.. different styles i.e.: some ics have power circuitry built in and require external inductor capacitor.. some require external power circuitry..
smps designs arent often undertaken.. from what iv seen.. by beginners and/or amateurs.. theyre very layout critical and can have big implications on uCs and delicate circuitry if not done correctly due to EMC stuff and extreme oscillations from inductor..
up to you how much depth you want to put in it.. :)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
You saw the outline (it is similar to what I was suggesting for you earlier). I think it will be pretty inclusive when it is finished.