Subjects

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Hi everyone,

I got my first offer from a university today!

One thing I found odd though was that they based their offer on only Further Maths, Maths and Physics - nothing was mentioned about German.

I know it's up to each uni to decide which subjects are worthwhile/important, but I wouldn't have thought they would ignore German altogether?

BTW, this offer is based on UCAS points, I need to get a certain amount to make the offer unconditional, but they want they number made up with only the maths and physics.

I wouldn't have thought German was a 'soft' subject - in fact there is lots of important industry in Germany, so I would've thought German would be a bonus.:D

Anyway, end of rant.

Otherwise, very happy!!!! :)

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I don't know how important is German in the US, but could it be that they picked one subject less only to keep your score low enough to meet the conditional offer?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I guess only the Europeans would know for sure but I would think English is a far more important language to master than German.

I suggest you start learning now. What do you call that language you all speak in England anyway?:D

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Do you know, I've written barely ten pages of English since August at school. :D

I can see that English might be more important, but it's more the skills involved which I would think would've made it worth something.

Basically, they are saying that I could drop German tomorrow, and it won't make a jot of difference. Just a bit odd.

Sparky

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I 've got to confess that in this late hour, I got you in the US majority and re-located you in US soil. I 'm terribly sorry about that, Sparky.

In Europe, yes, I believe German language is an asset, especially for engineers.
Is the offer of this university based on fixed courses or they can choose for individual students?

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Basically, we do three subjects of our own choice (I choose to keep four) and the uni makes an offer if they like your predicted grades.

However, they can choose to ignore subjects if they feel they aren't appropriate for the subject.

Like if you wanted to study maths, and your three subjects were cooking, religous education and wood work, the uni could say "we don't like any of those subjects", and not make an offer for those.

But I really don't see how they hate German. :/

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
I guess only the Europeans would know for sure but I would think English is a far more important language to master than German.
Totally agree. It doesn't help much to know German... or any other language other than the officially spoken in the country you live in....

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I took German in grade school and have only met one German speaking person in the U.S. in 50 years. I think German is not very important in USA.
Spanish in the States, French for parts of Canada.

Italian, Polish and Hungarian were pretty important around here maybe 50 years ago but not so much anymore.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Totally agree. It doesn't help much to know German... or any other language other than the officially spoken in the country you live in....
I couldn't disagree more. What would happen if I chose to speak strictly only Greek?
For certain, we wouldn't have this conversation, to begin with.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
That's Shakespeare. ;)

But seriously, I would've thought that skills developed would've been thought of as useful?

The ability to pick out useful information, construct meaningful respsonses, write concise essays without waffling, thinking about what you are writing and the organisation of the writing are all skills I would've thought would be useful to an engineer.

Besides, with wanting to join the RAF, German will be very useful as the Luftwaffe is one of the closest allies of the RAF at the moment.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Literacy should be a trait of all knowledgeable people, not only engineers'. But it seems to be thought as a dark art by my generation, sadly.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I would like to add that my studies of German weren't useless just because almost nobody in the U.S. speaks German. I have been able to pick up valuable information in posts on this site because I could recognize some German words.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Hi everyone,

I got my first offer from a university today!

One thing I found odd though was that they based their offer on only Further Maths, Maths and Physics - nothing was mentioned about German.

I know it's up to each uni to decide which subjects are worthwhile/important, but I wouldn't have thought they would ignore German altogether?

BTW, this offer is based on UCAS points, I need to get a certain amount to make the offer unconditional, but they want they number made up with only the maths and physics.

I wouldn't have thought German was a 'soft' subject - in fact there is lots of important industry in Germany, so I would've thought German would be a bonus.:D

Anyway, end of rant.

Otherwise, very happy!!!! :)
With all the subjects they offer I'm not surprised. Languages aren't high demand courses and are usually taught as electives. Their gonna pitch you their real courses like math, science, business, engineering etc.. Languages like german, Klingon, etc... aren't going to go out to people as their primary reason for attending the school.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Depending on what you plan to major in, being able to speak a second language generally isn't important in technological schools. I took three or four years of Spanish in High School, and it had absolutely no bearing whatsoever on me being accepted into the college (university) at which I eventually attended. It would be much more important in, say, liberal arts schools/majors. Turns out I would have been accepted into the same university even if I didn't have knowledge of one word of spanish under my belt.

Even if it's not important to the school, though, it can still be very important for you. You never know--you might meet a nice German girl someday.... ;):D

Matt