Studying in the USA

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
I'm a UK student. In less than a year, I get to make my university choices.

I am wondering if it is worth me studying in the USA. Somewhere like MIT would be fantastic.

The tuition will actually be lower. Although MIT is $55k/yr, because I live in a low income household, I would only be looking at ~$4,400/yr, if not zero (it's zero if <$75k and I haven't added it up, but it's probably very close.) That's cheaper than the UK.

Of course I'd have to get there and find a place to live and ship some of my stuff there.

If I like it I might even apply to live there permanently. The UK is boring for engineering. The US opens great prospects for me.

ElectrEng

Joined Jun 27, 2011
MIT is a good school but there are other's that are just as good. MIT has become a name more than anything, though is still a great university. Check out some of the southern universities also, like Georgia Tech. I can tell you from my own experiences that when it comes to engineering it will mostly depend on you as to how much you learn and how well you do. The better universities may have some of the better professors, but if you don't do your part then it doesn't really matter. And you can learn just as much at a lesser university also, if you take it upon yourself to do so. Im almost finished with a Masters in Electrical Engineering from the University of South Florida at the moment and most of what I've learned was on my own with constant studying and dedication. MIT is a good choice, but look into others also.

Check out their individual programs and not the overall engineering school. Sometimes the university gets a reputation as being a good engineering school but it's really only strong in certain areas of engineering. And if you have a certain interest within a certain engineering field, say like power engineering within the Electrical Engineering field, look into what the school does most of their research in and that will most likely be the area they focus a lot of their programs on. Like at USF Biomedical engineering is a large focus area so they offer more coursework and research within that area rather than in others. The areas of greatest focus are what bring in the most money and more research professors within that area, so that will be what they want to teach. If that's not what you are interested in then you may not find the courses you take, that somewhat specialize your degree, to be interesting or enjoyable at all.

Don't go to a university just because it's on some list of top universities though. A lot of that is the prestige of the university created over many years, but it may not be as good as it's made out to be. That's not meant to deter you from applying to MIT, but to make you look elsewhere also. Goodluck with your search and engineering is definitely a good choice of career.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
MIT is a good school but there are other's that are just as good. MIT has become a name more than anything, though is still a great university. Check out some of the southern universities also, like Georgia Tech. I can tell you from my own experiences that when it comes to engineering it will mostly depend on you as to how much you learn and how well you do. The better universities may have some of the better professors, but if you don't do your part then it doesn't really matter. And you can learn just as much at a lesser university also, if you take it upon yourself to do so. Im almost finished with a Masters in Electrical Engineering from the University of South Florida at the moment and most of what I've learned was on my own with constant studying and dedication. MIT is a good choice, but look into others also.

Check out their individual programs and not the overall engineering school. Sometimes the university gets a reputation as being a good engineering school but it's really only strong in certain areas of engineering. And if you have a certain interest within a certain engineering field, say like power engineering within the Electrical Engineering field, look into what the school does most of their research in and that will most likely be the area they focus a lot of their programs on. Like at USF Biomedical engineering is a large focus area so they offer more coursework and research within that area rather than in others. The areas of greatest focus are what bring in the most money and more research professors within that area, so that will be what they want to teach. If that's not what you are interested in then you may not find the courses you take, that somewhat specialize your degree, to be interesting or enjoyable at all.

Don't go to a university just because it's on some list of top universities though. A lot of that is the prestige of the university created over many years, but it may not be as good as it's made out to be. That's not meant to deter you from applying to MIT, but to make you look elsewhere also. Goodluck with your search and engineering is definitely a good choice of career.
I've looked at Stanford, Carnegie-Mellon and MIT thus far; all of them considered among the best engineering universities. I'm also considering a few other places; my choice will depend on availability, and unfortunately, price.

Primarily, I'm interested in mixed signal electronics, especially video processing, but power electronics is also an interest.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Referring to post 4,

what's the difference between non-US students and international students?
(definition problem)

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I made a post that a large company will get you visa's and help you
in many ways if they need your service and education.If you have what it takes,the four subjects
that are in greatest demand.Go to fortune 500 companies and look at what they
willing offer.There are plenty of jobs and visa's for the right connected people.
They pay your living expense's,you don't have do much looking,If you know your stuff.

Last edited:

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Non-US Citizens do not have citizenship ... as does the International Student. Both are non-citizens of the U.S.

That is 12's point.

I'm sure the "reduced tuitition" is part of a state department program.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Non-US Citizens do not have citizenship ... as does the International Student. Both are non-citizens of the U.S.

That is 12's point.

I'm sure the "reduced tuitition" is part of a state department program.
I'll email MIT's admissions department and check with them.

Undergraduate student costs for the academic year 2010–2011 at MIT will be about $53,210. This includes $39,212 for tuition and mandatory fees, plus an estimate for the costs of room and meals, books, supplies, and personal expenses.
When you email them, find out which items in the list are covered. Also ask about medical insurance which can be provided through the university. If only the tuition is $4400 then think about where the other $13000 is coming from. Still a good deal by US standards...

Good luck...

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Some companies seem to prefer engineers from other companies (my company for example). Within the realm of people that I deal with every day, I have 5 engineers from india, 1 from turkey, 1 from mexico, 1 from china, 1 from korea, 1 from indonesia, 1 from brazil, and 0 from the U.S. I don't know if It's like a badge the company gets to wear for being the most diverse, or if they can just get away with paying foreigners less. maybe a mix of both or neither. I don't know the true answer, only speculation. In any case, I know my company is not the only one outsourcing (in-sourcing?) their engineers. If you plan to actually work in the U.S. and not just come here for college, you may be better off to get your degree for cheaper right where you are and then have a big company pay your way over here (relocation pay, bonus, etc.). That's only the economical recommendation. The pride of having a degree from MIT would be unmatched (for me, anyways) so if that fancy degree on the wall is the most important thing to you, then follow your heart.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Hi, Tom.

If MIT doesn't work out for you, I heard that WIT (Wentworth Institute of Technology) is second behind MIT in electrical and computer engineering courses. It is also right there in Boston, within a few miles of MIT, I think. May be worth looking into, as well.
Hope you find what you're looking for!
Der Strom

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
The job listings stated If a position is open to have the company to
sponsor a visa.The large companies visa's are a part of day to day
business.It's hard to find an American doing any job in the cruise
business.They take It one more step,the purser of the ship hold all
employee's visa's until they return to there home port.If they are
fired while at sea or have to go home for any reason.....An other
Loosewire experience,going to a ship picking up people to sent
back to there country. I would have to hold there papers until
they were aboard there flight and turn there papers over to flight
attendant.If the flight was the next day I would have to stay with
them at a motel.There favorite Item to take home was power generator.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
The job listings stated If a position is open to have the company to
sponsor a visa.The large companies visa's are a part of day to day
business...
2nd quickest way to get into the u.s. = sponsored by employer. takes about 2 weeks if i remember correctly. Only quicker way is to be a celebrity. I think manny paquio came to the u.s. like 5 times while my wife was waiting for a spouse visa (10 months).

Last edited: