Stuck with LED circuit

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by tbiess@yahoo.com, Jul 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tbiess@yahoo.com

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 2, 2010
    Hi all members,
    I found a circuit to light LEDs with 220 AC but it need a 0.22uF non polarize capacitor, finding difficult to get in my contry. would like to know whether I can use two polarize CAPs joining negative to negative or positive to positive. Pls help.Thks.

2. lightingman

Apr 19, 2007
    Hello.

DO NOT DO THIS......

Daniel.

3. oidium45

Apr 24, 2010
    Although it is always nice to experiment with a new circuit, running an LED off of 220vac not only seems pointless, but dangerous.

If you absolutely "must" run a few LED's off of your household 220, I strongly suggest a step down transformer and a properly setup circuit to power them.

This is of course assuming that the circuit in question does not already contain this.

Try posting a schematic of the circuit. You are more likely to get help with your questions that way...

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    You have hit upon one of the ideas that is not supported here at AAC. Line voltage is dangerous, and this application is not safe for you or anyone who will be around it. You will need either a transformer or a wall wart to make it safe.

If you insist on pursuing this idea you will not get any help here at AAC and the thread will be closed. However, if you follow our recommendations and add the transformer we will be glad to assist.

This is not coming from me, this is a hard core policy reached as a consensus by the advanced members and most especially the moderators. In this case I'm just the messenger.

5. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    We do not support discussions of directly line powered circuits, as there is no safety to the user. They are always lethal shock hazards.

You must use a transformer to lower the voltage and provide galvanic isolation.

6. debjit625

Apr 17, 2010
    Ok the power supply you are talking about is known as capacitive power supply ,its good in sence of size and cost but it can only supply less current and another dangerous thing about it i.e.. it is not isolated from main.So use a transformer as said by other members.

Good Luck

7. V GOPALAKRISHNA

Apr 10, 2010
    Mr.TBIESS,,
    You please go through the following web site : <snip> and see the comments under that which will help you. V GOPALAKRISHNA, HYDERABAD, INDIA. MEMBER.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2010
  8. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

Direct connection to the mains is VERY dangerous.
    There is no isolation.
    If you want to drive leds, you must use a transformer.
    A small powersupply like a wallwart could also do.

Bertus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.