Stripboard woes

stew1954

Joined Feb 4, 2013
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and fairly new to electronics.
I have designed a circuit for monitoring the water level and pressure in a model steam engine. The circuit has been tested on breadboard and works perfectly.
I have also built the circuit on stripboard which again appears to work, in that the servos move when they should.
I have however found a problem when I wanted to add some LEDs to show what the circuit was doing.
When built on breadboard the output of pin 7 on ICs 1 and 3 would swing to within a few millivolts of the +5v and 0v rails, however on stripboard the output from pin 7 of IC 1 will only go as low as 1.6v and on IC 3 as low as 0.2v.
If I remove Q2 and Q3 from the circuit the outputs behave correctly. I don't think I have done anything wrong as the servos work correctly, and I can't see any bridging between tracks.
Can someone give me a clue as to what might be going on?
Thanks
Stew

Attachments

stew1954

Joined Feb 4, 2013
yes w2aew, that's the first thing I checked. I even removed the sockets and soldered the ICs directly to the board. Both ICs are reading 0v on pin 4. I think they must be picking up some form of noise but I have no idea where from.
Thanks Stew

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
I dont see any decoupling capacitors on the +5 and gnd rails. Does it really work on the breadboard and doesnt work on the stripboard?

May be you can add a 100nF cap near to pin 8 and GND of each IC and add another 100uF 16V on the +5V rail.

Allen

tubeguy

Joined Nov 3, 2012
If I remove Q2 and Q3 from the circuit the outputs behave correctly. I don't think I have done anything wrong as the servos work correctly, and I can't see any bridging between tracks.
Can someone give me a clue as to what might be going on?
Thanks
Stew
Make sure the base resistors are still the correct values and Q2 and Q3 are oriented correctly.

stew1954

Joined Feb 4, 2013
I dont see any decoupling capacitors on the +5 and gnd rails. Does it really work on the breadboard and doesnt work on the stripboard?

May be you can add a 100nF cap near to pin 8 and GND of each IC and add another 100uF 16V on the +5V rail.

Allen
Hi Allen
I added the capacitors as you suggested and it made no difference.
I then swapped around IC1 and IC3 and the 1.6v followed the IC. I have now replaced this IC and am getting 0.2v from both. I can work with this value but it is still a puzzle as to why it works differently to the circuit on the breadboard, perhaps it's because the components are much closer together on the stripboard.
Thanks Stew