Strip of LED's

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by ddaddy2420, Dec 7, 2012.

1. ddaddy2420

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 7, 2012
    Hi all, I have a strip of LED's that fit inside this cabinet at work that we are no longer using. So i was fortunate enough to get them. Inside this cabinet they were plugged into 24 volts via the plug in you see below. However, this isn't something i am familiar with. I am trying to figure out how to power these; do i buy a 24 volt driver? Or do i buy some sort of 24 volt power supply? What would the driver be for? I am clueless with electronics for the most part so I apologize in advance if these are stupid questions.

2. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    24Vlighting is not a system I have seen, the strip lights such as this many times run off 12V, either AC or DC. But that's not really an issue,though I would guess yours runs off DC as I don't see anything that could be a bridge rectifier from the pictures I see.

The connector is marked with red and black wires, so I would expect the red to be the positive. That seems to match your pictures if I look at the 1st & third. The connector looks familiar to me, someone may be able to offer an exact match, or you can just run down to Radio Shack and get any sort of connector to replace it with.

This would just need a power supply, 24 volts, but I don't have a guess how much current, and you need to know how much current you need. If you can beg/borrow/steal a multimeter you could connect to some batteries to get some idea of how much current. 2 or 3 9V batteries from the dollar store would at least give you some idea, and by using just one tab they plug into each other to connect together for higher voltages. 2 batteries give you 18V and 3 batteries give you 27V, so you get a measurement too high and too low that can be averaged to get close to reality.

Hope this helps...holla back if I confused you. <grin>

3. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    How certain are you that it wasn't really 12V? I'd be tempted to try 12v (maybe car battery?) first. It won't hurt to try, and the lights will either not light or be dim. If they actually take 12V and you give them 24V, well...

4. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
  5. ddaddy2420

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 7, 2012
    The strip i have that you see on the pictures costs $400. So surely it can't be the same. I tied in a 12 volt plug in and got the lights to work but they just don't seem that bright to me. Thats why i keep asking about a driver. The lights being as expensive as they were have to be brighter than what i am seeing. Will try and get pics today when i get home.