Street Rod linear actuator control

Appraiser

Joined Jan 23, 2009
I have a street rod that I added two linear actuators to open the compartments where the engine is located. The unit I have has internal limit switches and I will be adding external travel limit switches.

My problem is 2 fold. The first is how to wire the limit swiches so the actuator can move in both directions. It seems to me that if the limit switch opens the circuit, than putting power would not work. I am using a dpdt reversing switch.

The second part of the wiring is to set the actuator in motion using a pulse from a button and then having the unit continue until it trips the travel limit.

Every time I lay out the diagram, getting around an open limit switch gets complicated. Thank in adance.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Have a look at the attached.

S1 is a DPDT switch; the two center terminals are commons.
S2 and S3 are NC limit switches.

S1 can be a Center Off if you'd like.
Flipping S1 will cause the actuator to run until the limit switch is struck, disconnecting power from the motor for that switch position.
Toggling S1 to the other position will cause the actuator to run in the opposite direction until the other limit switch is struck, disconnecting power from the motor for that switch position.

Attachments