Strantor's garage liquidation on Ebay

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by strantor, Feb 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strantor

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Hey everybody, if you've been around for more than a while, you've probably heard me mention that I've got an industrial electronic spares depot in my garage. Well, I just bought the wife a car yesterday and the payments and insurance completely consumed my tinker budget for my prosthetic hand project. So I am taking to the garage to generate some new, finite income.

I have some really expensive stuff that I want to offload, but before I can, I need to get my ebay seller rating up. So for the foreseeable future, I will be auctioning/selling off my less significant stuff for low price or no reserve. Check back to this thread often, and check my ebay store.

I really wish Georacer was here to catalog this stuff for me. This experience of listing items on ebay is painful. Here's my first (and only, as of the time of this post): 5V 10A DC/DC converter. Took me >2hrs to do. Hopefully those that follow will go more smoothly.

Please, if you purchase from me and are satisfied, leave positive feedback. I'm only doing this for the feedback. So if I don't get it, well, that sucks.

And please consider what I said on the listing:

2. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    ...but don't check back tonight, because I'm done for tonight.

3. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Hope you have luck.
    I have been with ebay almost from day one and experienced the many changes and growing pains.
    Many of the what now seem like rigid rules and changes were due to the all the odd balls, con artists and screw ups out there.
    One trick I learned early was to put as much descriptive detail in the title, what it can be used for etc, as this is what shows up when people search.
    Max.

strantor likes this.
  4. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    Best of luck, strantor.

Just one thing: 99 times out of 100, when I buy online, I do it internationally.
    I may find a killer deal, but if the vendor ships the item with courier services (such as DHL) then he kills the deal.

Regular post almost never gets stopped in the customs. Courier packages almost always are and this means a 3 hour procedure and about 50euros to get them released.

Try to work out the postage details with your customers.

#12 and strantor like this.
  5. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    There is more space in the item title, add in words that people might be searching for, or information that people scanning through their search results would be interested in. I'd suggest "low noise", "9-18VDC in", "switching", "regulator". Fill it up with as much as you can.

strantor likes this.
  6. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Darn it strantor.
    Did you have to count me out?

7. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    Not sure what you mean. I have included international shipping.

8. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    " May not ship to Maldives"

9. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    I do not like the Global Shipping Program, I much prefer to get an invoice from the seller, particularly if he is in the US, and quote normal USPS postage.
    I generally find that the G.S.P. rates are way over what it would normally cost USPS/CanPost.
    They claim G.S.P. is competitive rates, but it is not IMO.

10. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    How about an Ebay, user name, thread?

11. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    We'd rather not become an e-bay jumping board.

The Flea Market subforum is exactly meant to host senior-member transactions, preferably within site.

12. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    If you see something you want, I will find a way to get it to you. I know other members have sent you stuff before, so it is possible. Can you tell me how it was done in the past, shipping to Maldives from U.S.?

13. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    I am listing on eBay for the reasons already discussed (feedback,et. al.). I have stuff that won't likely interest most users here, which I can't likely sell until I get some feedback. I am willing to "strike a deal" with most senior members here, but I still prefer to carry out the transaction through eBay. I hope this is not considered side-stepping the usual process of carrying out transactions within the site.

And actually, I do not understand the reasoning:
    "We'd rather not become an e-bay jumping board" - why not?
    "The Flea Market subforum is exactly meant to host senior-member transactions, preferably within site." - Why?

This site has no merchant program, no accountability, no buyer/seller feedback rating, no recourse for deals-gone-bad, and makes no money on transactions. I can't see any reason why the AAC collective would have any opinion about whether senior members carry out transactions on a "he said, she said" basis in PMs and thread posts or through the eBay interface.

From my perspective, if anything, the AAC collective seems to have more incentive to encourage senior member dealings through the eBay interface than to discourage it. It alleviates ACC of any liability or assumed liability; What I mean by that, is less work for mods trying to break up the inevitable fight as soon as something goes wrong. Less chance of being expected to enforce payments or deliveries - I really don't think you want to go there.

I have bought & sold here before, in amounts of hundreds of dollars, and it is much less confidence-inspiring than carrying out the transaction on ebay. You have no idea who you are actually dealing with. No history/evidence of previous honored obligations with respect to payment or delivery.

Awaiting your response, and please understand this is not a challenge. I will try to respect the wishes of the forum even if I don't agree.

14. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    You are a well know and valued forum member. I see no problem if the mods wanted to look the other way on the rules.

I do understand the reasoning. I for one would not want to see this subforum used as an advertising venue for those selling items on ebay.

It's purpose should really be for trying to help another forum member out. I have too much of X, you have too much of Y. Let's swap. I need X but don't want to pay the big bucks to mouser for shipping, you have extra and sell to me at cost etc.

strantor likes this.
  15. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    @strantor,

Actually mine was a reply to post #10. I don't have any problem with this particular thread.

I said that we'd rather not become an e-bay jumping board because if we did it systematically, AAC would become a place for advertising and we really, really don't want that. Not only it would burden the server with unproductive load but, after all, impromptu advertising is spam.

The administration (or was it beenthere?) opted to create this subforum to facilitate trades between AAC members who don't wish to make public (in the wide-internet sense) trades or wanted to trade with people they feel are more reputable and acquainted with.

Or at least that's what I think they thought.

strantor likes this.
  16. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    Perhaps a rule should be added that ads can be pulled at the mods' discretion? That advertising to outside links is prohibited except by the most senior forum members?? Something to that end.

17. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    Eh, there's no need for that yet.

For one, in order to post in the Flea Market there's already a lower bound of 100 posts. It's enough to prevent basic hit'n'run tactics.
    Plus, there's not so much traffic in this part of AAC to require close monitoring yet.

18. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    To me it was just weight of the package to Maldives plus insurance.

Jens had sent me plenty of things / project PCB's. All arrived , no problem.
    Only one from US had a problem but that was long ago and forgotten.

Oh yes. Bill sent me some papers too and there was one from Germany. He sent me a reward for service or Gift ( ferrite chloride powder )

So just rep of Maldives is OK. EMS, UPS is OK too. I prefer to get cheap some times

19. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    Here's what came off the top of the pile of contents of my 50gal tote labeled "Probes":

PAIR of Tektronix P6230 Oscilloscope Probes
    (MSRP: >$840, current bid $1, NO RESERVE)

PAIR of Tektronix P6009 100X 1.5KV Oscilloscope probes
    (MSRP: >$1000, current bid $1, NO RESERVE)

Fluke 80K-6 HV 6000V Probe for multimeter
    (MSRP: >$100, current bid $1, NO RESERVE)

Notice that last item is listed under "Everything Else>Other"?

Wanna know WHY??? Here's why:

When I tried to list it under "Business & Industrial>Electrical & Test Equipment>Test Equipment>Probes" I got this message:

And when they say "this specific category," they are referring to the ROOT category, "Business & Industrial." So I can't sell a damned thing in my cache for the next 30 days if I want it to be in any kind of sensible place where the right people will see it.

THREE FRIGGIN ITEMS. That's it. That's all they'll let me list. Someone, please, just shoot me.

20. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Like I said, some of the rules seem crazy, but the reason most have been imposed is because of the crazies, unfortunately.
    Max.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.