strange resistor values

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Not much, except it is much more straight forward. You exceed 100% with the design you show and you will get some very anomalous results, it will start missing. You can reduce the parts count even more with what I showed.

Again, what resistors are you having trouble with?

Nik

Joined May 20, 2006
I ran into similar issues biasing an LM334 (*) current source because my high-street supplier only stocked sub-10R values of E24 series in E12. Okay, they were all 1%, so I could series/parallel to get what I wanted...

(*) i = 67.7/R mA (at 20~~25'C), but specification allows +/- 3% so measure current delivered. It will probably be within ~1.5%, but check anyway. And you did read those teeny colour bands right ??

FWIW, there's a *very* useful odd resistance finder chart at...
http://skywaves.demon.co.uk/technical/Teaching/Odd_Resistance_Finder.pdf

Just remember to respect components' 1%, 5% or 10% value...

ale2121

Joined Mar 20, 2009
Thanks all!
I'm just trying to build a simple audible sine wave oscillator. I was looking around at various schematics, and came across this one, and the values struck me funny, so I thought I'd ask. I found a schematic in a book that uses a TL081 op amp, which I'd prefer to use since the 555 can't put out a sine wave, and it just so happens I have some TL081s laying around. I found this schematic: http://www.electro-tech-online.com/...743320-sinewave-oscillator-oscillator_700.jpg

I can't seem to get it working, though I only stuck an LED in there, instead of the 12v lamp it's asking for. If I were to stick the speaker on pin 6, that should put out something, correct?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The lamp in the schematic is there for stabilization:

A led in that place will not work.

Take a look at figure 15-10 of the attached PDF.

Bertus

Attachments

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
To expand on what Bertus said, the lamp is a negative resistance. It is use as part of an automatic gain control to make the sine wave a pure signal.

ale2121

Joined Mar 20, 2009
Hey Bertus,
Thank you. I saw that pdf. Anyone know where I can find that lamp? TI-327? I also have no idea what that symbol at the bottom of that schematic is (Vref .833 v)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I think you're going to have to define which schematic you're talking about. The only one I could find that comes close is in post #9.

ale2121

Joined Mar 20, 2009
Oh. In that same post, Bertus attached a pdf, and he was addressing figure 15-10 in that post. There's a symbol at the bottom of that figure, and I don't know what it is.