Strange Package - how to solder onto PCB?

bumclouds

Joined May 18, 2008
Hey guys,

I have a strange package that I have to use as apart of my project which I have never seen before.

It's just like DIP, except there's no legs, and it looks a bit like a postage stamp in appearance. A technician at uni has helped me by making some legs for it and it fits in a breadboard nicely for prototyping purposes.

But now I want to make a PCB for it.

I don't know what footprint to make on the PCB for it, nor do I understand how I should solder it on. Should I leave the legs on it and use a standard DIP-16 footprint? Or should I get a brand new chip without the legs and find/create this exotic footprint and solder it on that way?

Diagram is below:

Regards,

Andrew

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I'd be temped to make an adapter so it can be popped out of a socket (if that would work for it's application, some electronics is picky about such things). Otherwise treat it as normal surface mount.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I solder those like an smd. Linx will show you the pad layout. Just heat the pad and flow the solder. In fact, just checked the datasheet for a 433 MHz receiver. Page 7 of 12 shows the pad layout and tells how to solder it.

John

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
These modules are actually made to be compatible with wave or hand soldering, if you have a small pencil tip soldering iron it should work very well, I have used these modules in quite a few projects, making a PCB for them is really not that hard. Just place the component on the pads, heat up the pad with the soldering iron and apply solder, this will wick the solder under the components pads.