Strange Op-amp circuit...

T3chNique

Joined Dec 22, 2014
Hi everyone, first time user here.

I have a reasonably good background in electronics and electrical circuits and I decided to tackle on this project:

but on a smaller scale first for troubleshooting...

My problem lies in this op-amp setup:

http://imgur.com/rMK8J8I

I will be using the LM324N Op-amp instead of the TLC274 op-amp he uses in his video. They are very similar.
The problem arises with the infra-red reciever/photoresistor signal amplifier.

As seen in the screenshot above he connects the IR's anode to the non-inverting input on the op-amp and a 10M resistor to ground (pull-down?). He then joins the inverting input to the op-amp's output which creates negative feedback if I'm not mistaken?

The things I do not understand:
1. Where are all the resistors to set the op-amp's gain?
2. Why is there a 10M resistor going from the non-inverting input to ground?
3. Should there not be a resistor between the inverting input and op-amp output?

I have include a schematic I have created to aid anyone willing to help me :)

Schem:
aaaaaalll the way the left :)

http://imgur.com/IhItULj

Attachments

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
What are the 33Ω resistors doing there (e.g. R17???)

You better look at the input bias current of a LM324 if you are trying to sub it for a TLC274

T3chNique

Joined Dec 22, 2014
For the receiving photodiodes?????
SORRY they are PHOTOTRANSISTORS not PHOTODIODES

Yes they aren't ICs, they contain a cathode and anode, Foward voltage drop is 2.2V @ 100 mA, and I'm using 5V to power it with

and the op-amps have an input bias current difference of 20 nA, I don't suppose it will make that much of a difference or what do you think?

Last edited:

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

What is the part number of the photoTRANSISTORS?
Have a look in their datasheet to get more info.

Bertus

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Sorry I edited my previous post... they are photoTRANSISTORS not photoDIODES
The opamp schematic on Imgur shows a two-terminal photo-diode used as a detector with a 10meg load resistor. That is why the opamp needs to have very low input bias current.

btw- I hate having to go off site to see your pictures. Post them here instead of a external site.

T3chNique

Joined Dec 22, 2014

T3chNique

Joined Dec 22, 2014
The opamp schematic on Imgur shows a two-terminal photo-diode used as a detector with a 10meg load resistor. That is why the opamp needs to have very low input bias current.

btw- I hate having to go off site to see your pictures. Post them here instead of a external site.
Sorry first time poster... Will do in the future! Thanks :)

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Well on their website they specifically name is as a "Infra-red 3mm Receiver/Phototransistor" not photoemitter... In my schematic the photoemitters are to the far left and next to it is the photoreciver/phototransistor and amplification setup...
So who do you believe?
The guy that made the product and wrote it's data sheet, or some kid that works for a store that made a web page?

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Now that you have figured out that the LIR132 is a reciever, do you still think you need the 33Ω resistor?
Do you still have questions about the opamp?

Here is the relevant data for the receiver:

det.gif

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
The video in post #1 is one of the worst demonstrations of patience and tenacity I have ever seen. To clarify, I mean, this guy has the patience of Job (pronounced "Jobe") but his high-speed editing work make this look like an afternoon project.

He is really a perfectionist and clearly understands his project and I am sure he will not have a bad connection in the 600 or more solder joints he will make - hundreds of wires to strip and hundreds of Components to place and glue. I didn't even have the patience to watch to the end of the video but, whoever starts this project will have a major investment in components and a firm understanding of the time commitment to complete this project.

I imagine this could be like one of those hooked rug projects from the 1970s. Everyone saw how cool they looked in the craft store but there were few ever completed. I found my mother's 1/4-done rug when we packed up her house several years ago. Very tedious.

T3chNique

Joined Dec 22, 2014
Now that you have figured out that the LIR132 is a reciever, do you still think you need the 33Ω resistor?
Do you still have questions about the opamp?

Here is the relevant data for the receiver:

View attachment 77500
I was just worried that it would draw too much current? Now knowing that is is a receiver, is my wiring still correct?

and in regard to the op-amp... What EXACTLY is the 10M load resistor for? I thought the input bias current wouldn't need a current limiting resistor?

Last edited: