strange coincidences

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
A couple of weeks ago I put an local ad on the internet that I would buy or repair broken laptops. A guy called me and I repaired his laptop.
A few days later he referred me to someone else, I don't know for sure but I think it was family. I did some work on their laptop too and on the desktop there was a photo showing them in some South American country.
They live in a city just a few kilometers from here.

This was a month ago. Now I bought a used cellphone via eBay from somebody in Pittsburgh. The person left all their photos and music etc on the phone and guess what? ???

Apparently the couple which lives here went together with the ebayer couple on vacation. I found the very same picture from the laptops desktop on the cellphone!!! Pittsburgh is 1200km from here.

I had only two times in my life similar unlikely events happening, unfortunately none of them occurred playing the LOTTERY!

I'm amazed, how can this happen?!

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Read the OP. He said he recognized the people. Could not be stock.
Wait, you seem to know a lot about the photo, Spinnaker... And you are from Pittsburgh! Was it your phone?

Who are your Canadian friends? Did you have a good time in South America?

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Wait, you seem to know a lot about the photo, Spinnaker... And you are from Pittsburgh! Was it your phone?

Who are your Canadian friends? Did you have a good time in South America?
LOL. :D No it wasn't spinnaker nor was it a stock photo from the internet. It was something much more stupid. But for a moment I believed in it.

First I was amazed, then I thought that's impossible. Then I had a 10 min hysterical LMAOROTF session with my wife. Then I felt almost embarrassed. Well, I was tired, so it seems one part of my brain had already gone to sleep mode.

There were some pictures on the phone, right. When I first saw the couple's picture which lives nearby I thought, hm, strange coincidence. This was when I started this thread. Then I scrolled through the pictures and there were more and more of these guys. HuH??? Only THEN I realized that the sd card I put in the phone was the same I used to backup data from the previously repaired laptop. :rolleyes:

At least we had a good evening's laugh. (Can somebody please delete all traces of this thread :))

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
When I was 20 I met my uncle which I hadn't seen for 5 years at a beach in Tunisia.

My wife met a friend of hers in a small town in Germany after 3 years not seeing her, 8000km from were they both used to live.

This stuff happens but not when we choose to. Sometimes for real and sometimes due to partial brain shutdown.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I see all sort of odd coincidences all the time.

As random as life is if you are paying attention you will see all sorts of things and events that cross paths more than once.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Once, in Orlando, I was at Universal Studios and a friend from over 100 miles away tapped me on the shoulder. Not the biggest coincidence posted here, but in the same vein. I was much more impressed with the 3/4 size model of the Pantages Theater in Los Angeles (3000 miles away). I was so convinced that it was the real thing that I looked around for the taco shop that is next door to the real Pantages Theater.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I was attending college in Atlanta, GA and decided to see a Bruins game (it was the Bobby Orr era, and you couldn't get tickets in Boston). As the players skated onto the ice, the woman beside me stood up and cheered.

Turns out she grew up down the street from my Grandmother and when we were young children we used to play together. Couldn't remember her name and hadn't seen her in about 15 years.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
It really never happen to me but with people I was with. Two instances I can think of and both involved sailing.

In the first instance we just arrived in St. Thomas to then transfer over to Tortola to start our sailing vacation. One of the party just happen to know someone arriving at the airport at the same time. They had no idea of one another's plans.

In the other instance, our gang started to gather on the dock to get ready to go to diner. Boats lined up on both sides of the dock with maybe a 3 meter view of the water off the very end of the dock. One of the party joined the group and happened to look at that narrow view of the water. A friend of his just happened to be passing by on his dinghy. Again they had no idea of one another's plans for the weekend.