Strange behavior on LPF

André Ferrato

Joined Apr 5, 2015
I thought the AC line filter was used to supress the EMI the production of the circuit. So when would i need that filter? If i had a circuit with very high frequencies, then i would need ? Enlighthen me sire. Big mess in my mental archives.

I thought the AC line filter was used to supress the EMI the production of the circuit. So when would i need that filter? If i had a circuit with very high frequencies, then i would need ? Enlighthen me sire. Big mess in my mental archives.
1) To protect the circuit from malfunction/damage from line noise
2) To 'protect' the line from 'hash' or incidental radiation generated by the connected equipment (principally RF or heavy switching devices)
--- OR ---
Both:D

Last edited:

André Ferrato

Joined Apr 5, 2015
1) To protect the circuit from malfunction/damage from line noise
2) To 'protect' the line from 'hash' or incidental radiation generated by the connected equipment (principally RF of heavy switching devices)
--- OR ---
Both:D
I see, definitely i had confused concepts, this will make my design extremely easy. These AC line filters are good for switching PSU right? I see them a lot in these situations.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The only harmonics you need to think about are nearby lightning strikes, and we don't have filters for that. Just put your completed projects in a metal box so they explode in a confined space. :D

Last edited:

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Seriously? That's cool ahahah. I am a ME student and electronic hobbyst(3 weeks career, long shit).
From a grateful watcher, reader or maybe listener: this nice thread is what I enjoyed the most in a very long time and, why not, learnt as well.

The above quoted colorful expresion; plus the "daylight" parameter and the "Ay Chihuahua" one, added a fine interdisciplinary / muticultural touch.

And being this a technical forum of sorts, it is good to note that even units, Hz, MHz, weeks and years, were kept straight all the time by the contributors.

Gracias (and I mean it) to all for that! :D