strain gauge help

Status
Not open for further replies.

giovi1514

Joined Aug 14, 2013
hello, hopefully you guys can help me i am a bit stuck and i am sure that it is something simple i am missing.

basically i want to build a circuit with a strain gauge so that i have a pressure sensitive kill switch. the strain gauge will be used to detect pressure applied to a steal rod and activate a separate circuit which will cause a engine to cut out for 75ms once the pressure has been detected. however i am having trouble finding a way to make the strain gauge circuit in to a on/off one. as i said i am sure that it is something simple i am missing.

the strain gauge is in a wheatstone bridge and is connected to a 12v dc battery however anything apart from the strain gauge can be changed to achieve the desired result. budget is a factor though

hopefully you can understand what i am trying to explain.
thanks

giovi1514

Joined Aug 14, 2013
ah, thanks that is perfect i knew i had missed something simple.

unfortunately i have ran into another problem the circuit i was going to use to cut the engine (by grounding the coils) does not work. does anyone know of a circuit i can use?all i needs is a variable time of 50-100ms which can be acheaven anyway something simple like changing a capacitor would be best though

basically i am making a diy quickshifter for my motorbike (because i am a cheapskate and have more time then money :) ) when pressure is applied to the shift lever the engine will cut out for x amount of time allowing for much quicker gear changes there is a lot of videos on youtube if you want to have a look.

Thanks again

the bike is a sv650 btw

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The owners of All About Circuits has elected not to host discussions of automotive electrical system modifications/enhancements due to safety concerns, the potential of legal ramifications and the possible circumvention of vehicle regulations at the state and federal level.

This thread is against the AAC forum rules, Chapter 6, as seen here:

6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies
This can be found in our Terms of Service (ToS)

Automotive modifications of any kind are strictly forbidden. Therefore, this thread will be closed.

Please try to understand the reasons behind this action, and feel free to browse and use the forums.

You might find answers to your questions in one of these forums:

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=54400

Another good forum that shares many of the same membership is http://www.electro-tech-online.com/ . Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.