Strain gauge help!

imp2011

Joined Aug 3, 2011
Hi everyone,

I am in the middle of a project involving using strain gauges and am having trouble getting any reading from them.

I am using a Fylde FE-MM8 amplifier with a FFE-356 USB module. The data acquisition software is Madaq. The bridge voltage is set to 5V, and I have varied the gain from 1 to 1k. The material to which the gauge is attached has ranged from polymer to aluminium to bone, the latter is what my project should eventually be based on - if i ever get these working. From what I can see, the circuit board is set up correctly for a quarter bridge, the soldering is fine and the adhesive is suitable (superglue).

Can anyone come up with an idea as to what the problem may be? This may be a stab in the dark, but worth a try i figured

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Hi everyone,

I am in the middle of a project involving using strain gauges and am having trouble getting any reading from them.

I am using a Fylde FE-MM8 amplifier with a FFE-356 USB module. The data acquisition software is Madaq. The bridge voltage is set to 5V, and I have varied the gain from 1 to 1k. The material to which the gauge is attached has ranged from polymer to aluminium to bone, the latter is what my project should eventually be based on - if i ever get these working. From what I can see, the circuit board is set up correctly for a quarter bridge, the soldering is fine and the adhesive is suitable (superglue).

Can anyone come up with an idea as to what the problem may be? This may be a stab in the dark, but worth a try i figured

Post the circuit and as many information as possible.

imp2011

Joined Aug 3, 2011
mik3- thanks for replying to that post (weeks ago). My problem was as simple as having a jumper positioned incorrectly on the circuit.

If I may continue with another question though.
As I stated, I am using madaq software. Is any sort of calibration required prior to taking measurements with my gauges? Or does the gauge factor take care of this without any initial calibration?

Apologies if this is a basic question, my gauge expertise is pretty limited.