Storing Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
When you say flashing, how often and for how long each flash? A low duty cycle flash, for instance 100ms flash every 2 seconds, will use very little battery power. A standard solar light modified to flash instead of light steadily would easily last all night and more.

mapleman555

Joined Dec 15, 2014
When you say flashing, how often and for how long each flash? A low duty cycle flash, for instance 100ms flash every 2 seconds, will use very little battery power. A standard solar light modified to flash instead of light steadily would easily last all night and more.
Yes, I'd say that's a good speed. What value capacitor would that take? I tried a 2200uF one once but I don't remember if it was that slow.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
You don't need a capacitor for storing energy - the battery will do that - but just for setting the timing of a 555 flasher circuit. You should look at the 555 flashers on this site. See Bill's Blog.

Last edited:

mapleman555

Joined Dec 15, 2014
I haven't had much time to research all the parts to one of these solar powered lights that I just got. And I have a question about them, what part of the light detects the light or lack of and turns turns the bulb on or off? Is it built into the transistor that's on it?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Yeah, but that's not a transistor, it's an integrated circuit specifically designed to handle the various functions of the solar light; turning off when light is detected and running the boost oscillator. Some solar lights use a CdS sensor to detect light, but most these days use the PV panel itself so that one more part can be eliminated.

Status
Not open for further replies.