Storing parts

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Teufelwolf, May 27, 2013.

1. Teufelwolf

Thread Starter New Member

May 11, 2013
    I have just gotten back into experimenting with electronics. I am dealing with trying to find a easy to way to store various parts. My SO has a ton of small glass jars - are there any ESD issues with glass containers?
    I am guessing that even if yes, they would be ok for storing things like LEDs, switches, resistors, caps, diodes and such?

I am keeping all the ICs, and Transistors in their original anti-ESD bags, but it is not a convenient when looking for a part.
    What other storage solutions do people use? Especially in a small space (apt) where there is no room for a dedicated work area.

2. Pencil

Dec 8, 2009
    There is a thread going on in Off Topic Section that
    may be of interest.

LINK

3. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
  4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Glass can be an ESD hazard. It can hold very high static charges (look up a Leyden Jar), and it can generate static charges with the right materials. Overall I place the risk lower than with plastics.

5. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009

I always thought it was the foil or other metallic coating on the Leyden jar that held the charge? Just like a capacitor. If there is no metallic covering how will a charge be stored?

6. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Silk on glass is a classic physics demonstration of static charge. Glass holds a static charge well, even when held in a person's hand. Conductivity of a person to ground doesn't discharge the entire glass rod because, as you said, glass is an insulator.

See the nice video below - silk and glass.
    YouTube

shortbus likes this.