Storing graphics into flash!

rougie

Joined Dec 11, 2006
Hello,

I have a quick question about storing graphics in external flash memory. I have my own GL which is able to retrieve text, icons or pictures from an 8MEG flash and displays them on either a 1.5 " or 2.0" color LCD. Here's the thing though, when I am using the 1.5" LCD and I display an graphical icon it has to be a certain size. However if I display that same icon on the 2.0" LCD, it has to be slightly bigger. My question is, for us embedded guys that are using microcontrollers (PICS or AVR ...) with limited memory (comparing to today's memory in desktop computers) what are our options to do this.

I was stuck in storing that same icon in two different sizes in flash. Another option would be to store it in flash as the biggest size and according to the size required we palletize the icon to reduce it to any size we need and redisplay it on the LCD.

Is there such a utility or .c file that we can include in our code which resizes (or palletizes) graphics to a certain size so we can then display them.

All feedback is very appreciated.
Rob