Storing electrical components

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by fbchurch2009, Sep 4, 2010.

1. fbchurch2009

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 10, 2010
    I wanted to buy some storage for all of my components but I had a couple of quick questions. I was thinking about getting a "drawer storage cabinet." would It ruin my components? I know they have anti static bags to prevent electrostatic discharge so I was wondering if the plastic drawers would have the same effect? thanks

2. Potato Pudding

Jun 11, 2010
    Interesting question.

There is such a thing as antistatic storage bins.

But with the price and minimum order I would be a long way from recommending the linked item unless you are setting up an industrial shop type type situation which is what those storage cabinets are obviously aimed at.

If you are in an industrial shop with 6 techs all making $40 an hour then the cost of those bins doesn't mean the same thing as it does to the home hobby repairman.

3. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    If you're going to keep CMOS ICs around just but a roll of that static conductive foam and cut it into pieces a litle smaller than the drawers, that way you can pop the whole thing out and deal with it. The other stuff like resistors, caps etc could care less about common static.

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I use common kit boxes (the kind use by hobbyists for things like beads) along with antistatic foam. If you want I'll show you some pictures.